cd's copy to cdr or harddisk to backup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello people,

a lot of topics have come around with this issue.

well i'm not completely certain what to do.

i have a lot of audio cd's which i play on my pc,
the originals are with my dad so that me and my brother can use them.
but i would like to back up these cd's, is it wise to buy an extra harddisk
and put everything on it, and then store this harddisk in a safe place ?

or would be better to burn everyhting on golden dye discs and store them in the dark ?

the harddisk is cheaper i suppose, the cdr could be safer in the long run (20 years)
and if i store them on the harddisk, does it harm to store the in dataloss compression ?

what do you think ?

thanx

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've no problems with CD's from when CD was launched in the 80's
There is no point backing up originals just in case they have a problem... they won't.

If you just play them on a PC I would rip using file compression (MP3, WMA) as... Hmmm... PC's just 'aint Hifi lol, and use the originals on your main system.

if you keep them on your harddisk, in what format do you do this ?

1)every song in wav
2)the complete cd in one wav file with a cue file
3)flac or some other dataloss compression ?

thanks
(indeed a harddisk will be fine, i only have 80gb of cd's on my harddisk, somewhere around 130 cd's)

greetz

What is "golden dye"?

I'd settle for rip everything onto the HDD and keep the CD. Run its digital out into a DAC like with a CDP and it's largely the same, but you get DSP.

.ape and .tta are getting popular nowadays due to slightly better compression and performance vs flac which has gained wider compatibility, but even the best of lossless compression only compress a factor of 1.5 at best, so I like to keep as .wav. Wav doesn't preserve any non-music data (e.g. index and tags) though.

I'm a hater of complete CD rips with cue files and prefer the tracks one by one. So that it's easier to create playlists and move files..

golden dye,

well normally a gold layer is used to put the data on, the gold layer isn't as easily broken down as the other materials.

Golden dye isn't always gold: sometimes they use a golden paint to make it look like.

few manufactures make them (the real gold ones) they cost more then double for a disc, but even then it is not to expensive. I have golden discs, more then 10 years old, daily used and still no errors on it. so they have proven to be very good.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I also have a number of CDs from the early 80's and do not hear any degradation.

One thing I always do with a new CD, form day one... and it's just what you shouldn't... give it a really good polish with a silicon and wax spray and buff to a shine. Perhaps that has helped seal the laquer... dunno... but they are all still mint, unmarked and don't attract dust etc :)

I've no problems with CD's from when CD was launched in the 80's
There is no point backing up originals just in case they have a problem... they won't.
I most emphatically have to disagree with you here Mooly :D I'm sorry chap but original CDs can corrode. I had a bunch of discs from a certain manufacturer that gradually had the alloy reflective layer corrode, discolour & finally be eaten away from the outer edge. It turns out that the edge of the disc wasn't sealed properly so the reflective layer gradually oxidised from the outside in :eek:

Luckily for myself i found the discs & there was a kind of recall that i found on the net. I got in touch with the people & then went through all my CDs, i had about 20 or maybe slightly less faulty ones which i sent back. I was supplied with brand new discs & in some cases artwork as well, so in the end i lost nothing :)

E2A:- Funny but i was just listening to one of the CDs that corroded & got replaced - Banco De Gaia - Maya. Now a single disc is bad enough but i found that the LTD edition 3CD Last Train To Lhasa was also duff, i was gutted as not only was it great music but worth quite a lot to. Again all the CDs were replaced with brand new ones...Phew :D

Last edited:
E2A:- Funny but i was just listening to one of the CDs that corroded & got replaced - Banco De Gaia - Maya. Now a single disc is bad enough but i found that the LTD edition 3CD Last Train To Lhasa was also duff, i was gutted as not only was it great music but worth quite a lot to. Again all the CDs were replaced with brand new ones...Phew :D

I almost bought that on vinyl.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.