Fun Project Suggestion for a busted NAD2100?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a NAD 2100 Monitor Series amplifier that is now dead. Transistors are obsolete and I can't find replacements for a reasonable price.

The transformer and the case are good. Does anybody have any suggestions for a fun project? I'd love to turn this into a tube amplifier but I haven't a clue where to start.

Attachments

• 1244852258091659014.JPG
    1244852258091659014.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 109
If you want to re-use the transformer, check its voltage and go from there.

I've got 3 pairs of wires coming from the transformer to the main board.

Impedence Switch Position___4Ohms___8Ohms
----------------------------------------------
Purple_____________________55V_____55V
Blue_______________________85V_____109V
Red_______________________58V_____72V

From that, can you tell if Project 101 would be feasible?

Last edited:
I followed paulb's advice and went with a pair of ESP Project 101 amps. The link is above.

I salvaged the case, heat sinks, transformer, input and speaker connectors. The P101 project fits nicely in the NAD box.

I just got all the pieces in the box and did the first stereo test last night. Performance is fantastic so far.

Cost will be somewhere in the range of $200. I would estimate that it took me 20-30 hours (this was my first amp project). I have some electronics knowledge.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.