Electrical power in China

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,

I may be going to China, and having some of their equipment (chinese valve amps) which will come along, I need to know some details on how electrical power is arranged.
I know power in China is 220Vac 50Hz, and I know what pins they use. What I don't know is how electrical power is applied to teh sockets.
for example, in teh UK you have always 3 pins: 1 pin in the middle is always the earth. The two other pins can either be +240Vac or Neutral.
The electrical power is single phase.

However, there are countries out there that that combine two phases of 110Vac and create 220Vac by applying +/-110Vac on one pin and
-/+110Vac on the other pin to create the 220Vac differential voltage.
This has a serious knock on effect on how electronics are managed with respect to earth and neutral.
Effectively such systems would not have a neutral, whereas in the UK, the neutral and the earth are combined before the circuitbreaker consumer, effectively making teh neutral and the earth the exact same potential. This allows teh consumer unit to use RCBs for protection. I don;'t think this is possible on 110/110Vac systems as there would be no neutral to compare earth leaks with.
I'd like to know if china applies a 220/0Vac system or a 110/110Vac system

Just checked my mains supply - 225VAC between earth and live, 0.25VAC between earth and neutral. So its the first case you describe, same as in UK. Sockets here exist as two kinds - two pin, parallel blade (like USA) and three blade with two (live and neutral) blades angled about 30o together at the bottom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.