Alternative to automotive body filler.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK normally I tend to use automotive spot putty on my cabinets for prep to paint but have come to an impass...My wife... She hates the smell even if I let it cure outside the offgassing drives her nuts. So does anyone know of a paint grade filler that holds as well as spot filler, is as hard as spot filler, and dosen't smell like spot filler? I will be using automotive laquer as my finish and the cabinets are 3/4" MDF. End finish will have to be imaculate as the cabinets will be a slight cream clour with quilted bubinga accents and the cream will show imperfections quite well. So I need a great product that performs as well or better than spot putty but without the stench, any suggestions?

Peace and happy Listening

:gasp:

Anyone know where I can pick up DURHAM'S ROCK HARD Water Putty® in the Greater Toronto area? I know there is a place in Ajax but for the life of me can't find where... I'd like to start finishing these cabinets and this is my prefered method other than spot filler. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Hmmm - the problem of having a problem in an international forum: brand names. German firm Molto have filler and prepaint especially for MDF (plus special cleaning cloth that makes your glue really take a hold), but you´ll have to find where to get it in Hockeyland.:confused:

I recently purchased Durham's at an ACE hardware store here in New York, but I'm not sure if you have them up there. It should work, but may need extra priming to seal it.

Another option is 2 part spot putty which is also sold as fast wood filler (Minwax has one). They're the same basic chemistry as body filler but have a slightly thinner body to ease sanding and eliminate bubbles. They have a characteristic odor, put it's not nearly as offensive or strong as the toluene odor from standard polyester spot putty (plus they harden much faster, opening up the possibility of getting it done while everyone is out of the house).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.