multiple mini full-ranges in a spherical enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So since a sphere is the most preferable sound source why aren't spherical arrays explored? It's obviously costly and complex to build but are there any other factors limiting this design?

I'm proposing an array of small full-range drivers (Hi-Vi B2S) held together in a Dodecahedron formation.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Let's not worry about coverage under 400Hz for now. What I'd like to achieve is:
1. low non-linear distortion.
2. flat frequency response
3. a polar uniformity to at least 5Khz

1) If I understand correctly, playing an array of drivers at lower levels introduces less distortion than playing one driver loud. So my biggest worry in terms of distortion is sealing the enclosure well and damping the inside to make sure internal wave reflections don't come in contact with the cone.

2) EQ can help toward a flat frequency response but I don't have a good understanding of how a spherical baffle with relatively close positioned point sources will interact with each other. I know dipoles exhibit some not very nice effects with baffle interaction.

3) The million dollar question: How bad will directivity in high frequencies be for such a design? Will there be a comb filter effect bad enough to discourage such a design?

Are there any other considerations that I'm not aware of?

Use Google to search for the file "aes102.pdf". It describes the modelling, construction and measurement of a dodecahedron enclosure speaker. The speaker is also used as an example in Akabak, a simulation program used for speaker design. The paper and Akabak are by the same author.

0034.jpg

This was shot in a local restaurant years ago. Quite interesting. There're 32 boxes in total. It didn't play when I was there, so no info of how it sounded. Severe diffractions and interferences I guess.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Use Google to search for the file "aes102.pdf". It describes the modelling, construction and measurement of a dodecahedron enclosure speaker. The speaker is also used as an example in Akabak, a simulation program used for speaker design. The paper and Akabak are by the same author.

http://www.wvier.de/texte/aes102.pdf

dave

Heres a cheap solution I stumbled on a while ago, its even in your colour. link below.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Low-cost Spherical Speaker Array

i have seen this before and i partially draw inspiration for this idea from it. unfortunately the driver positions don't look very uniform and there's no measurements.

0034.jpg

This was shot in a local restaurant years ago. Quite interesting. There're 32 boxes in total. It didn't play when I was there, so no info of how it sounded. Severe diffractions and interferences I guess.

this is interesting indeed and i'm very curious to know how it sounds. unfortunately i agree that the lack of common baffle will cause lots of problems.

One would think that would be the case... but Zaph's survey of small drivers has the 3" outperfoming in all ways.
dave

i understand that the 3" is an overall better driver. i should've mentioned this earlier but the main reason i was looking at the 2" is because i have plenty of spheres on hand of about 5" diameter.
anyway, i will not make a final decision for a driver until i do some preliminary testing.

i read the pdf but i still can't get a strong feeling pro or against the dodecahedron model. he says that it achieves an omnidirectional radiation which is what i'm after but he reports a lot of diffraction from the baffle and time smear because of the multiple sources.
the software will be useful to run simulations of different drivers. i'm particularly interested in knowing at what frequency a particular driver becomes uncomfortably directional in this setup. can you guys help me translate the driver parameters that they are using?

|Drive unit, type: Bose B901
Def_Driver 'Drv1'
dD=9.35cm dD1=30mm tD1=11mm fp=4.5kHz
Mms=4.95g Cms=0.6e-3m/N Rms=1Ns/m Bl=2.1Tm
Re=0.93ohm Le=120uH ExpoLe=0.618

The answer to the directionality of a driver is, "it depends". The general assumption is that the driver will start to beam noticeably above the frequency where half a wavelength equals the diameter of the driver. So for a 9.35 cm driver, that would be about 3.6 KHz. The frequency at which it becomes "uncomfortably directional" will depend on many more factors.

You can use Akabak to help understand the driver parameters.
Start Akabak.
Select File --> New Script
Above the 'System' line, paste in the data you quoted in your post.
Put the cursor in the middle of the data,
Select Def --> Def_Driver...
A data entry window will open that describes the values.

Grundig Audiorama (1970's)

I was reminded of a pair of Grundig Audiorama 7000 speakers I once heard
They sounded amazing.
Apparently these spherical speakers had 4 x 130mm LF drivers and 8 x 88mm HF drivers per sphere.
According to the Grundig website the HF and LF were isolated by an internal basket. Unfortunately I haven't found any details showing the internal structure:(

Don Hill, thanks for the help!

I was reminded of a pair of Grundig Audiorama 7000 speakers I once heard
They sounded amazing.
Apparently these spherical speakers had 4 x 130mm LF drivers and 8 x 88mm HF drivers per sphere.
According to the Grundig website the HF and LF were isolated by an internal basket. Unfortunately I haven't found any details showing the internal structure:(

14af_12.JPG

The driver topology is a bit strange, I wonder what was the driving decision. I was imagining something more symmetrical. I like how the baffle looks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.