What do you do when you need to find a schematic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, this has probably been covered in a variety of other places, but it seems like people post mostly inquiries about specific pieces of equipment. I was thinking maybe in this thread you guys could help me lay out a general PROCESS for going about locating a schematic.

This is usually the process I've been using (in this order);
  1. Google web search
  2. Google image search
  3. Check DIYAudio forums for someone who has it
  4. Check Prodigy Pro forums for someone who has it
  5. Check the Gearslutz forums for someone who has it
  6. Contact the manufacturer
  7. Check if anyone's selling the service manual on eBay
  8. Check if anyone's selling the service manual online
Does anyone have any other suggestions? Do people "bit torrent" schematics and service manuals? Any sources that are better for pro audio stuff?

BTW... I'm currently looking for a schematic for a GK 1000SB and GK 1000 amps, but I'm always needing something different (usually pro audio stuff).

Call up GK and ask them for it.

I own and operate a pro audio repair shop, and that is what I would do.

Sure I might google it first, just to see if it is around. But I always contact the manufacturer before doing other stuff. Forums are full of helpful people, but you might not get immediate results. And I often see schematics online, but they leave out the layouts and parts lists that come with the factory file.

I follow the same general on-line search procedures, but I'm pretty persistent. I try many variations on the name and number. I recently needed a schematic for a Technics SU-G86 AV amplifier. I wasn't willing to pay for it, as the repair is a freebie, and finally found it at a Hungarian site. The problem is that registering and navigating the site is difficult if you don't read Hungarian, which I don't. Once registered, you can change some of it to English. The site is ElektroTanya.

Now the only problem is that even with the schematic I can't seem to fix the darn thing, so I'll have to post here and see if anybody else has a clue!

Best,
Conrad

I follow the same general on-line search procedures, but I'm pretty persistent. I try many variations on the name and number. I recently needed a schematic for a Technics SU-G86 AV amplifier. I wasn't willing to pay for it, as the repair is a freebie, and finally found it at a Hungarian site. The problem is that registering and navigating the site is difficult if you don't read Hungarian, which I don't. Once registered, you can change some of it to English. The site is ElektroTanya.

Now the only problem is that even with the schematic I can't seem to fix the darn thing, so I'll have to post here and see if anybody else has a clue!

Best,
Conrad

Have you ever tried google translate?
Google Translate

if you enter a web URL into the text box it will translate and display the whole page. Im not sure how it will react to registration though since those are typically secure pages (SSL)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.