Acoustic plus electric rolloff crossover question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got the center of my midrange and the center of my tweeter a little over 8 inches apart. This means, ideally, I'd like a crossover set to 1.6khz. I believe my tweeter starts to roll off acoustically at about 1.7khz naturally (I've measured it). I'm using an active DCX2496 crossover to try to hit my target.

My question is - if I select an electrical crossover at 1.3khz LR2, which seems to give me the slope I want, how concerned do I need to be about my crossover (and amp) sending an almost full signal to the tweeter at 1.3khz? I know that with dome tweeters, over-excursion is a concern, so even though my slope is acoustically doing what I want at 1.6khz, it seems like there would be distortion or excursion concerns by sending it such a high-powered low frequency signal. Am I crazy, or is this something I need to worry about?

What tweeter are you using? Very few tweeters like to be crossed at 1.3 Khz. In any case, even with a robust tweeter, you would still want to use pretty steep electrical slope, especially with it being at 1.3 kHz. However some of it depends on how loud you are going to listen since the level will drive the excursion.

The best way to make the decision would be with some distortion measurements if you have that ability. In any case, I would personally live with a less than ideal higher XO point to avoid the distortion and the potentail for damaging the tweeter.

Good luck,

Dennis

From my understanding, which could fill a thimble, the acoustic roll-off doesn't limit power to the driver, only electrical does. So with this in mind, it would seem there is potential for over-excursion. Maybe SL's spreadsheet can model the excursion?

You question is very astute. I am afraid, I don't know the definitive answer.

I'd probably bend the c-t-c spacing rule by moving the xo up to 1.7khz rather than meet the c-t-c demands and stress the tweeter. The prior seems to me to be the less audible consequence.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.