Dynaudio 4-way DAK 4-210 kit (mid-80's)--need advice on reuse drivers for DIY project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Dynaudio 4-way DAK 4-210 kit speakers from the mid-80's and am seeking advice on reusing the drivers for a DIY speaker project. The original 96 liter cabinets got a laminate finish over the years, and I really don't like the form factor (wide squat tilted cabinets) and was wondering if reusing the drivers in a taller and narrower cabinet is a good idea. I'm NOT a speaker designer, so would need help with a cabinet and crossover design. Building a cabinet is no problem, as I have access to a wood shop and have built some far more complex furniture projects.

Is this a reasonable thing to tackle or should I just sell the drivers and do a proven kit speaker project instead? The drivers appear to be worth quite a bit on the used market, at least the woofers (saw a pair sold for $220 with bad surrounds, and mine were replaced a couple years ago). The driver compliment in these 4-ways is:

30 W-54 woofers
D-54 Midrange
D-28 Tweeters
D-21 Super tweeters

If the used value of the drivers is not enough, I'd probably just continue to use the speakers as-is in another system. They still sound VERY good to my ears. (should I be pulling the crossovers and at least replacing the capacitors for a "tune-up" if I opt to just continue to use as is??)

Another question is would the 25 year old drivers need any maintenance beyond the already replaced woofer surrounds? Are these dome style drivers typically still "good" after 25 years? Are these drivers even competitive with modern drivers given the advancement in the last 25 years? I do believe they were considered very high end drivers in their day, but have no clue how the compare to modern designs.

dynaudio upgrade

The Dynaudio woofers need a 10 cubic foot vented box (FS for 21 hz) or a sealed box of 4 cubic foot (FS 35 hz). Good drivers-just need to look at the Vas figures for the size of the woofer enclosure. Otherwise, upgrade the crossovers for one! Inductors are huge with these speakers-if you use a 1st order crossover. Here is a nice 1st order calculator

http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/APCXOver

that may be of some help with your planning. Not a lot of information on the 30W54 but it is a fast driver that works well with other dynaudio drivers and 1st order crossovers. Good Luck!

What you need to do is avoid using Dynaudio's crossover designs. They were downright awful.

The DA500 had that driver lineup (albeit with a 12 ohm version of the 30W54 in an isobaric, interior driver was a 21W54). With a reworked crossover, the sound was superb. Main thing is, are the cones on the 30W54 the original doped paper, or were they replaced with the later filled polypropylene? The latter do not do well in the midrange.

I am only about 3 years late in responding to these replies...had my Default Thread Subscription Mode set wrong...doh..sorry...

Here are my comments and answers for future reference in case somebody else has this speaker kit and is interested:

I do have all the original information for the kit and drivers if anyone else needs them.

In response to "Main thing is, are the cones on the 30W54 the original doped paper, or were they replaced with the later filled polypropylene? The latter do not do well in the midrange."--mine are the later polypropylene and not the paper version.

Also, if anyone has some future interest in this topic, there is a thread over on Speaker Asylum on the matter:

Speaker Asylum

In the end, I decided that it is not worth ripping mine apart and making new cabinets and crossovers--decided to just run them original (at least for now)

Hi SY, Merry Christmas and...

What you need to do is avoid using Dynaudio's crossover designs. They were downright awful.

The DA500 had that driver lineup (albeit with a 12 ohm version of the 30W54 in an isobaric, interior driver was a 21W54). With a reworked crossover, the sound was superb. Main thing is, are the cones on the 30W54 the original doped paper, or were they replaced with the later filled polypropylene? The latter do not do well in the midrange.

We were on talk, two years ago by private email. Now I just discover this post (Dynaudio 35w54) and maybe you have some experience with this driver. I got 8 by different ways, I planning in make a couple of dipole with 4 each. I saw the low distortion of this driver, high sensitivity and the system gonna work with 8 D54 in each channel, one Esotar D330 and one triangle for the rear wall. All in multiamp, 3way. With your big experience and communicative tendency, further your generosity, please in this Christmas time. Can you make a recommendation.
Best wishes.:)

Last edited:
dady,

you've got 8 x 30W54, 8 x D54 and 2x T330 :) Right ?

It could be a little tricky though to make 30W and D54 overlap
nicely. Not without a reason did Dynaudio make Consequence
with addition of 17W75M. I am not saying it would not work.
Doable with a bit of compromise.

Nice project. Agree with Sy, the so called Dynaudio XO's,
altough I sincerely doubt it was their intention to built something
really good, are not worthy bothering with.

Better to make a clean and new start.

Dovro and thanks for your fast reply, I have eight 12", sixteen D54, and Two Esotar. And a couple of triangles tweeter, I thank in put four woofers, eight midranges and two tweeters in each channel. The response of woofer is until 1500Hz and is possible to overlap them without problems, I think is no necessary in putt a 17W75M. The project is for multiamp with digital XO. The amps are a mix of VT and SS. The focus is high volume of sound for orchestral music. Now I use a lowther with rear horn loaded. But I miss more definition in louder passages.Thanks for yor comments. My father born in Prgmet near of Split but emigrate to Argentina in 1936. I were on Croatia visiting my uncles and family. I felt one more of them. Ai me meni maiko moie said my grandma.
Best Wishes.

Thanks for yor comments. My father born in Prgmet near of Split
but emigrate to Argentina in 1936. I were on Croatia visiting my
uncles and family. I felt one more of them. Ai me meni maiko
moie said my grandma.

Best Wishes.

Esteban,

glad to meet a descendant of a Croatian born in Prgomet.
Absolutely beautiful! Some of my ancestors also emigrated
but in North America. My mother was called to join them
but she would not do that. Anyway, if you'll ever feel a need
to seek assistance in setting up your Dynaudio's, I could not say
no to a fellow of Croatian-Argentian blood, but only via private
messaging diy.Audio offers.

Merry Christmas and keep the faith, as Bon Jovi would say!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.