Multi-way or Full range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
please, anyone? :D
Hi artazzzzz :)

It's not easy. Putting it simply a full range driver needs to do the "full range" by itself so it might cause intermodulation distortion when doing bass & treble frequencies. Also a full range speaker generally won't cover the full range accurately, there are likely to be dips & peaks in the response.

Multiway speakers have their own problems. Time delay between voicecoils as well as problems with crossovers & level matching & again dips & peaks due to all manor of factors.

It's a minefield out there :eek:

Recommending something is asking a bit much. It depends what you like in all honesty :D I guess you need to experience all these different things!

What music do you prefer
How loud is it at normal listening
Do you need to play loud, occationally
Which amp will you use
Which sound do you like
How big is your room
How big speakers do you want
I prefer electro, hip hop, rnb, techno, pop music.
Normal listening is about 30-40% and nearly 90% at parties.
I have integrated amp into z2300 sub.
I like sound with rich midrange and midbasses.
My room is about 7x7 meters.
I need compact speakers, something like 10x10x10 inches max.

artazzzzz,
"I prefer electro, hip hop, rnb, techno, pop music.
Normal listening is about 30-40% and nearly 90% at parties......I need compact speakers, something like 10x10x10 inches max."

I'd skip the full range thing unless you can cross them over.
Do you runa pair of wires to your sub then from the sub to the speakers?
If you can, if you may want to try the full range thing, get a fostex 167e or a 207e.

If not then I'd recommend a 2 way with an 8", maybe an old klipsch kg2 even, but I think the small box will limit your choices, but a 6" and tweet will work also.

Rich midbass = moving air, or a sharp leading edge (from a compression driver). Maybe a pair of klipsch rb-75's.

Norman

thanks for your post!
well, I mean nto rich midbass, but midrange. Maybe I am not right, but I want not to have distortion at increased volume. How can I achieve this? I run 1 wire from sub to power supply, another to the control pad, from control pad to pc. And 2 wires from the speakers to sub.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I prefer electro, hip hop, rnb, techno, pop music.
Normal listening is about 30-40% and nearly 90% at parties.

I need compact speakers, something like 10x10x10 inches max.

Thats very low height

To make a small speaker take more power and stay clean you may need to run your main speakers through sub xo, to be high passsed active around 100hz

You definately dont need a delicate audiophile fullrange
Neither do you want small "hifi" speaker with 85db SPL or less
You need sensitivity and powerhandling
Dont know theres a kit with small PRO coax

Eminence Beta-8A is a close fit, but needs a tweeter and xo
Maybe some SB tweeter
A 10-12 liter box would work both closed and BR
Positive is a final 90db SPL, with BSC
If we join forces it might be possible to work something out
Depends on your skills and enthusiasm
But it might be my personal choise

How about it, should we start a new audiocom monitor
Might not be perfect at first, but who knows where it will end in a year or two

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is there any speakers I can build for ~100 USD?

Excluding cabinet materials, more than a few. Able to play loud, with authority on the bottom -- you give up some finese.

A a pair of Mark Audio CHR-70 or CSS EL70 (made by MA) in Lotus or Conniston Changs (or even more dynamics in Maeshowe -- beta testers needed). These drivers also make excellent mid-tweeters if you need MORE.

maeshowe-c-3D.gif

or for more bass & levels, Pioneer B20 + tweeter in something like G Chang or HalfChang or CurvyChang

curveChang.gif

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.