Tone control circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OKI DOKI
this is the simplest tone control ever ...the particular also seems to have some gain also ....it doesnt get any simpler ...

Question 1
if a thing like that is made with the best available psu and the best available material can it be called an audiophile tone control ?? or simply to have a good quality tone control you need symetric psu and op amps .

Question 2

I have one Yamaha amplifier that uses a "passive tone control" that takes feedback from the aoutput to operate i presume that in this topology will be impossible to seperate preamplifier and main amplifier ( unless you keep the main amplifier operating to support the tone control and then take the signal from the amplifier input to drive another amplifier )

opinions please

thanks

Attachments

• TONE CONTROL.JPG
    TONE CONTROL.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 491
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OKI DOKI
this is the simplest tone control ever ...the particular also seems to have some gain also ....it doesnt get any simpler ...

Question 1
if a thing like that is made with the best available psu and the best available material can it be called an audiophile tone control ?? or simply to have a good quality tone control you need symetric psu and op amps .

Question 2

I have one Yamaha amplifier that uses a "passive tone control" that takes feedback from the aoutput to operate i presume that in this topology will be impossible to seperate preamplifier and main amplifier ( unless you keep the main amplifier operating to support the tone control and then take the signal from the amplifier input to drive another amplifier )

opinions please

thanks

You need to make sure that the load is not too low, otherwise that will influence the curves.

jd

Hi sakis :)

Yes I think janneman refers to question 2. Having the control in the feedback loop is not good. Each time you adjust the tone control your'e changing the working condition of the amplifier. The amplifier may measure good with the controls in flat position, however changing the setting of one of the controls, the amplifier got a new working condition which may result in higher TIM, IMD and changed FRC.........

Better to have the controls in the front end of the amplifier (preferably with a output buffer), where you can control the impedances :)

OKI DOKI

What about a cap and variable resistor to ground? 2 components - top cut only

Question 1
................. can it be called an audiophile tone control ?? ......................

Can any "tone control" be called audiophile ?

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.