Repair Help on Orion 2500d

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm working on an Orion 2500d that I need a nudge in the right direction on.

So the power light doesnt come on when i hook it up.

It idles around 5 amps and makes the little click noise when its powered up.

All the power and output transistors seem to be fine.

No burn marks on the board or anything else that looks out of the ordinary.

I did however notice that the 2 matching vertical driver boards heat up significantly while idling.

Any tips on this type of repair?

Do you have the master/slave switch set to master?

Have you tried running all controls/switches through their entire range?

Do you have both positive and negative rail voltage on the third leg of the output transistors?

Since the driver boards are heating up (some heating is normal), you probably have rail voltage but you need to check if none of the previous suggestions have helped.

Do you have both positive and negative regulated voltage on the op-amps?

Do you have the master/slave switch set to master?
Yes

Have you tried running all controls/switches through their entire range?
Yes

Do you have both positive and negative rail voltage on the third leg of the output transistors?
No, I'm not getting any voltage from the output transisters 3rd leg

Since the driver boards are heating up (some heating is normal), you probably have rail voltage but you need to check if none of the previous suggestions have helped.
I actually am only getting .1 volts on the rails on the audio side.

Do you have both positive and negative regulated voltage on the op-amps?
Yes I have + and - 12 volts on the op-amps

Disconnect the amp from the power source and remove the clamps from the rectifiers. See if any have broken legs. You'll have to pull them away from the heatsink. If they're stuck, push down on the circuit board in front of the rectifiers to see if they'll release from the insulator. Don't try to pry them off of the sink. It's likely to damage the insulator, the rectifier or the heatsink.

With the black probe on the outer leg of D731 and the center leg of D632, what's the DC voltage?

With no power applied, measure the resistance from the center leg of all 4 diodes to the heatsink. Do you read anything less than 1000 ohms? If so, what's the resistance?

What about the outer legs to the heatsinK?

You may want to set the meter to DC volts and make sure that there is nothing more than a few volts between the center legs of the rectifiers and the heatsink before measuring the resistance. Touch the probe that's on the heatsink to a place where a screw has cut threads. The coating on the heatsink may not conduct well/consistently.

With the black probe on the outer leg of D731 and the center leg of D632, what's the DC voltage?
In this test where would I put red probe? Center of d632? If so didnt measure any voltage, if red probe is on +12 it measures 12-13v

With no power applied, measure the resistance from the center leg of all 4 diodes to the heatsink. Do you read anything less than 1000 ohms? If so, what's the resistance?
All measured as an open circuit

What about the outer legs to the heatsinK?
Same as above

You may want to set the meter to DC volts and make sure that there is nothing more than a few volts between the center legs of the rectifiers and the heatsink before measuring the resistance. Touch the probe that's on the heatsink to a place where a screw has cut threads. The coating on the heatsink may not conduct well/consistently.
All under 1 volt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.