Anyone know where to download movies legally?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Does anyone know places you can download movies legally?

All the places I've seen seem like rip offs, they do not have the credibility and/or quality I would demand from such a service.

And it would be awesome if there where sensible usage restrictions as well (NONE), I hate it when they try to make you buy something and there is some form of protection on the files, so you can't download on one computer, stuff it in the library there and watch it on the laptop, offline.
I want to be able to do that, even after the service provider has gone, because that happens.

Rental or 2nd-hand DVDs are cheap enough, aren't they? And those are too many to watch, already.

I've been hearing people download this and that. Soon there're just too many to watch/listen. All those files are just piling up and consuming the storage space (and/or stuffing the emptiness of their minds) after all.

Too many things to do and too little time. If there's time which is freely downloadable and actually usable, I'd like to know.

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I would also like to buy time, that would be nice, but I like to keep things realistic as well.

I do not watch TV, i stopped doing that years ago, i do not listen to radio either, except when driving during work hours, then it's classical music and debates. My spare time is mainly divided upon my various hobbies, such as music editing (just for fun), stereo systems, and bicycling, although bicycling has suffered since i got married. We also watch quite a bit of anime, and we like a good movie every now and again.

All in all i like to think i spend my days doing more of the things i enjoy, than the things i find a waste of time.

What i do feel is a waste of time however, is trying to find some usable service for buying movies, it does not seem to exist. No sense in the industry pressing charges on the average Joe if they can't at least TRY to make some competing service.

Piracy 1 - Movie industry 0

DVD quality is not good enough, and in these "going green" times, i enjoy not having craploads of plastic in my livingroom, consumes a lot of space, discs scratch easily no matter what miracle tech they claim to have, a pc with some TB's of storage takes less space with more movies, and you get better support for the file formats you want to use.

Piracy 2 - Movie industry -1 (yeah, that's a minus there)

Last edited:
I'm with you Kaffi. I feel the same about music. I'd gladly pay for downloads IF I could get FLAC files, but so few artists do that. I've taken to buying used CD's.

I use Hulu, you can only watch streaming (no downloading) but the quality is decent as long as you have a good connection, and they have a fair amount of anime. They do have commercials, but they are very short.

Broadband needs to step up one more notch in speed, then we'll start to see more of this kind of thing.

The music industry does not deserve to exist, they should be (and I think will be) overtaken by internet download sites. Why? Because they dont actually produce anything apart from marketing and cds, they like Hollywood are cartels IMO. Its been 10 years since napster and I still cant get flac on a studio site, these guys are not with the program.
Hollywood are just as bad in different ways.

Copyrights sometimes are not renewed, so then they become public domain. Re poor res0> Youtube is getting better... Hey it's free entertainment and watchable IMO whacha want for free. Doesn't Netflix or Blockbuster have DL agreement downunda
EDIT sorry forgot you want them Copied (HDD) that's a big problem.

Last edited:
Yeah, so we all recognize the lack of proper services, although the technology is available, and has been for some time.

I completely agree on the lack of decent music sites providing FLAC as well, but i just stumbled over hdtracks.com not long ago, and it really seems like a nice thing. It doesn't have everything, but then again who does? At least the quality is good (96khz/24bit on some).

And i also found a site called Zimbalam ( Zimbalam - Index ), they provide services for artists wanting to release their music. I am very tempted to give it a go some time later this year. It's one of the few places they actually let the artist keep their rights to their own product. Not seeing anything about FLAC mentioned anywhere, but nevertheless a service that sticks out in a good way.

If anyone else know some good service providers around for movies, music and other products of culture, please post where to find it, and write a snippet of what it's about. I, for one, would appreciate it.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Have people here given netflix a try?

Receive the movies in the post, send them back when you're done. Its not free, but its pretty cheap, unless you want to watch 10 movies a day.

Also, if you have an internet connection, you can watch streaming on netflix. Amazing collection, good quality, low price.

Torrents are the way to go for downloading anything from applications to movies to complete discographies in FLAC format.

First get a program for managing and downloading torrents. my favorite is µTorrent because of it's simplicity and the fact that it uses very little resources and runs quickly even on my 6 year old desktop.
http://download.cnet.com/uTorrent/3000-2196_4-10528327.html

After you download and install your torrent program use websites like http://isohunt.com/ and http://thepiratebay.org/ and http://www.kickasstorrents.com/ to search for anything you want. when you find something you want make sure it has lots of seeders because these are other people who have completely downloaded the same thing you are downloading, and are currently only uploading. so more seeders = faster download speeds. leechers are other people who are currently downloading the torrent, this is also listed next to torrent links on websites.

once you have found a torrent you want there should be a download torrent button somewhere on the webpage. click it and when it is finished downloading the small torrent file, usually less than 50kb, your torrent manager should prompt you to start downloading the torrent. you can choose where you want it to download to and uncheck any files included in the torrent that you don't want. then hit OK on the prompt window to start downloading.

And there you have it, the easiest and most reliable way to download just about anything the internet has to offer.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure we all know the wonders of torrents and usenet by now.

I was thinking more along the lines of >legal< methods to download. Maybe i would like to support the artist doing the work?
And not the big companies, like Sony for instance, they control far to much of the industry. Not only do they earn massive amounts of money by being the patent holder for blue ray, but they also deliver software to the people making the music, as well as own large parts of some major record companies.
They are good at buying out competition, and buying into new areas of expertise.

I do not like Sony's end user products in general, in my opinion, they are over-protected, and therefore slow and cumbersome to work with. Add this to the business model they run, and you get a perfect recipe for evil dictatorship. A bit blunt maybe, but it's my personal opinion after all.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure we all know the wonders of torrents and usenet by now.

I was thinking more along the lines of >legal< methods to download. Maybe i would like to support the artist doing the work?
And not the big companies, like Sony for instance, they control far to much of the industry. Not only do they earn massive amounts of money by being the patent holder for blue ray, but they also deliver software to the people making the music, as well as own large parts of some major record companies.
They are good at buying out competition, and buying into new areas of expertise.

I do not like Sony's end user products in general, in my opinion, they are over-protected, and therefore slow and cumbersome to work with. Add this to the business model they run, and you get a perfect recipe for evil dictatorship. A bit blunt maybe, but it's my personal opinion after all.

I agree about Sony, also not a mac fan, I find them to proprietry and they are both control freaks. What will be interesting is mac after Steve Jobs.

Edit: Just went to Hdtracks.com, seems to me these guys wont let their pricing model go, 18 bucks for flac album or torrent, its an easy equation. I think they are too stubborn to adapt, and maybe their value proposition simply isnt there any more. I also have no moral problems, so many industries are price fixed, from airlines and freight, telecoms, music, film, etc.

Last edited:
Are you in Canada?

Downloading movies and music is very legal here. We pay a tax on blank media to do so.

Cheers!

Are you sure?

Also here in Italy, and I think in European Union in general, we pay the same tax on blank media, harddisks, memory cards, mp3 players, etc.

But downloading movies and music is still not legal.

The tax serves as a 'compensation' for the possible illegal use but doesn't makes legal anything....at least here in Europe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.