gainclone sub amp/transformer issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok... brief intro into why i am building this:

I am building a Sonosub (5.35cu.ft) to use in HT. Driver is DPL12, down-firing, 4"Wx20" long port tuned to 16Hz. And, I had an OLD 125WRMS PA amp that I thought was good. The old driver I used it with made a pfft sound when it hit hard, so I thought the driver was messed up. Got my DPL12 today, hooked it up, fired up the amp, PFFT. Umm... NOOOO! So... need amp-

Hooked up to B channel on my receiver, put on B only, full range, sounded like CRAP. Hope it was the receiver.

So, I have 5 OPA541 chips sitting around waiting for me to build gainclones. (one 2-channel, one 3-channel multimedia) The multimedia set will happen, so, I would like to use 3 for that, but can spare the 2-channel since I don't have any speakers for it anyway, right now.

The driver is dual voice coil, so if I build two separate channels of gainclone and run off of one transformer (I only have one) I could do ok power-wise, right?

My transformer is 17-0-17VAC@4.7A. Now, I know this translates into about 160W. But, after rectification, it becomes more, something like 50VDC. Does this keep the same current rating and then become almost a 250W power supply?

-In need of amplification... Help... Thanks all :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.