jbl 2225h need box calc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
can someone run the bandpass calculater on these, and put specs up for a box that will help it reproduce the "B" string on a five string bass guitar. the box itll have to be tuned down pretty low, to hit 27hz.. thanx

I suggest you record that guitar and look at the spectrum. Its spectrum is likely dominated by harmonics with little fundamental. Another experiment - generate a test tone in audacity with 30, 60, 90, 120 Hz tones, then start reducing the level of the 30 Hz tone. The ear doesn't hear much difference because it "creates" the 30Hz tone from the harmonics. In other words, you don't need the low B as long as it does the harmonics properly. There is little need to go much below 35-40Hz with a pro rig. Doing 40Hz really loud is much more important than doing 20Hz or 30Hz...

I agree with Ron for a couple of reasons. First of all he is correct re our brains filling in the fundamentals. Next, go and measure some: even on a 34" scale 4 string the fundamental on most low E is much lower than the 2H. On a B it is even worse as the strings aren't long enough to support it.

Have you ever had 30Hz loud on stage (presume you want this for at least some live work)? It's very annoying and can cause all sorts of resonances and muddy the sound.

Also consider many of the popular BG rigs such as Ampeg 4 and 8x10 dive below 70Hz and yet are often described as having good fundamental tone. For recording direct with maybe some micced cab mixed usually in sounds best.

There are even some popular bass pre-amps from the eighties that did a 70 Hz high-pass for "marketing reasons" so they could sell you more speakers.. Names removed to protect the guilty, Peavey.

Have a look at this old, but popular cab and look at its response chart. Be concerned about getting enough top-end from yours.

Last edited:
CoePA-2009.jpg

This box looks pretty good for a pair of JBL 2225H. It's an EQ'd 6th order design, tuned to 31hz. The general layout is:

PPSL2.gif

Here is the performance with the original driver I designed it for:

Eminence151269.gif

It is 100.4dB/2V/1M (1W), 128.2dB at full power (600W). 3dB down at about 29hz. The JBL driver has about 2.3dB less maximum output in the 50hz~60hz region due to its higher Fs and its lower Vas and x-max.

what driver did you design those boxes for ???

CoePA-2009.jpg

This box looks pretty good for a pair of JBL 2225H. It's an EQ'd 6th order design, tuned to 31hz. The general layout is:

PPSL2.gif

Here is the performance with the original driver I designed it for:

Eminence151269.gif

It is 100.4dB/2V/1M (1W), 128.2dB at full power (600W). 3dB down at about 29hz. The JBL driver has about 2.3dB less maximum output in the 50hz~60hz region due to its higher Fs and its lower Vas and x-max.

I had a driver custom made for them, the part number Eminence assigned the design was 15711.

The simulation is of another custom Eminence driver, sold by Martinsoundpro.com. Their part number is #1844.

It is also possible to use some 18" drivers in this design, it just depends on the T/S parameters.

Of course the size may be adjusted for almost any driver with a Qts around 0.312, the cut-off will be around Fs, and the size about 0.41x the Vas.

it may appear, you are correct, i just downloaded a real time analyzer, (Software) it has a tone generator and oscillascope, anyways i was using the tone generator, and listening to 30hz and i didnt realize how low that was. my yamaha 10
' subs were chuffin and not liking be called upon to reproduce that

I agree with Ron for a couple of reasons. First of all he is correct re our brains filling in the fundamentals. Next, go and measure some: even on a 34" scale 4 string the fundamental on most low E is much lower than the 2H. On a B it is even worse as the strings aren't long enough to support it.

Have you ever had 30Hz loud on stage (presume you want this for at least some live work)? It's very annoying and can cause all sorts of resonances and muddy the sound.

Also consider many of the popular BG rigs such as Ampeg 4 and 8x10 dive below 70Hz and yet are often described as having good fundamental tone. For recording direct with maybe some micced cab mixed usually in sounds best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.