• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Bridged LM4780 kit: 5 Ohms (Min) at 300Hz = smoke?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all (and Peter in particular)

I'm in the process of building a pre and a power amp and procured most of the parts including the LM4780 kit. Now, since I'd like to take advantage of the balanced output of my preamp, meaning I want to bridge the LM4780s and run them in balanced mode.

Now, the loudspeaker kit that I'm planning to get (Jantzen audio MTM kit) has a minimum impedance of 5 Ohm @ 300Hz.

The application note AN-1192 from National claims the BR100 config can drive a 4 Ohm load (@ +-20V supply). Is this completely analogous to the balanced configuration option of the LM4780 kit?

Best regards,
Lars

a 3886 and half a 4780 is shown to give 35W into 4r0 when fed with +-20Vdc.
When bridged (balanced) this gives 70W into 8ohms.

To take account of voltage sag in your power supply the quiescent supply voltage is likely to be ~+23Vdc.
Each half of the bridged amp will dissipate a maximum of 27W and typically >10W during normal listening.
That means your 4780 chip must dissipate >20W normally and <=54W at worst case conditions.
That will require a big heatsink if you don't want Spike to cut current transients when the chip is hot.

Hi Andrew and thanks for your answer.

<=54W for a component in such a small package that on top has to be electrically isolated from the chassis seems like a bad idea. A more compelling option seems to be bridging two parallel coupled LM4780 boards for one balanced channel.

Are there any examples of people having done so with the Audio Sector kit?

Lars

...or (I didn't really describe it correctly above) having two LM4780 boards each in parallel configuration, but each board running complimentary to the other (balanced mode), meaning one board providing the "forward" current and the other one sinking it.

Is this completely mad? Constructive feedback (even if the idea is barking mad) is appreciated.

I've been using bridged LM4780 for years in my workshop system with Audio Technology drivers:Flexunits 5 H 52 15 06 SD

As you can see, there is not much heatsinking in my simple chassis, yet with moderate sound levels, or really pushed for a reasonable period, it does not create any problems.

Without trying simple balanced configuration first, I would strongly discourage you from going into complicated and questionable from sonic standpoint parallel/bridged configuration.

You always have a choice taking advice from people who actually build that stuff, or merely theorize about specs;)

More info about bridged configuration can be found here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audi...chip-amp-kits-dacs-chassis-13.html#post636565

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 500
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 480
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 475
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 467
You always have a choice taking advice from people who actually build that stuff, or merely theorize about specs;)

Exactly. Which is also why I addressed you, Peter. :)

On closer thought, I think my choice of speaker kit is the problem. This being my first power amp I will build it, run the MTMs at low output power and build some bigger iron bigger next time

Thanks,
Lars

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.