Parts chanel ("$0.49") speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a whole butt load of these speakers, I would like to use them for surround sound. I have been told open baffle designs for these particular speakers is best!?!!? I got these speakers without any technical data with them and I dont know anything about them! I know its not as simple as hooking up a whole bunch of speakers and pluggin them into your reciever so if anyone can help me with this id much appreciate it.

I know nothing about stereo equipment, or ohms, watts, and all that ja

GOAL: just bought a 50" plasma, would like to make a theater room. thinking of doing a 7.2 system, thought of making with these speakers all 7 of the boxes with all of these speakers, ALL BOXES WITH 4 AND THE CENTER WITH 8 WITH A TOTAL OF 32 SPEAKERS.

I just bought a whole butt load of these speakers, I would like to use them for surround sound. I have been told open baffle designs for these particular speakers is best!?!!? I got these speakers without any technical data with them and I dont know anything about them! I know its not as simple as hooking up a whole bunch of speakers and pluggin them into your reciever so if anyone can help me with this id much appreciate it.

I know nothing about stereo equipment, or ohms, watts, and all that ja

GOAL: just bought a 50" plasma, would like to make a theater room. thinking of doing a 7.2 system, thought of making with these speakers all 7 of the boxes with all of these speakers, ALL BOXES WITH 4 AND THE CENTER WITH 8 WITH A TOTAL OF 32 SPEAKERS.

How big is the room ? most ppl think that 7.1 will sound good in any room, 7.1 only sounds decent if there is enough space and room for it, other than that 5.1 will be just as good. Small room = 5.1 big room = 7.1

What type or receiver do you have ?

I bought them off of Craigslist. heres a couple pics, hope they work.

Attachments

• DSCN0599.JPG
    DSCN0599.JPG
    458 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCN0602.JPG
    DSCN0602.JPG
    587.2 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCN0601.JPG
    DSCN0601.JPG
    507.5 KB · Views: 190
The room is about 14W 16L and i have to put it on the 16' wall because one of the 14 ends is entry and the other has a window. The coolest thing about this room is there is attic like storage in the walls, so technicly there is a double wall and I will be able to hang the Plasma on the wall and be able to run all the wiring through the wall.

Thank you for your reply, it will help me a lot trying to figure out what configurations to set these up at.

I found this receiver, Pioneer USA - Pioneer A/V Receivers as i said before I know nothing about this sorta thing, so I guess im basing my decision for this reciever because it looks good price is right and im asuming Pioner is a good enough brand for HT.

On the specs of this receiver it says 1 kHz w// 0.05% THD @ 8 ohm and on the specs of the speakers on that provided web site it says the speakers are *Znom: 8 ohms *Re: 7.50 ohms. so if i wanted to run 4 of these speakers would i simply hook them up paralel?

and for the final question... what you guys think, boxes or open baffle?

Thanks for all the help.

Hi, if you hook four of these in parrallel you will have a 2 Ohm load. Most amplifers won't be happy with this.

You could wire them two in series and then the two pairs in parallel. This would give you an 8 ohm load. However the speakers may not sound at their best this way.

I would wire two in parrallel and use them as 4ohm speakers.

As for OB against sealed box. Do you have a subwoofer as OB designs do not play very deep.

Regards,
Andrew

Thank you for your reply, getting more better learnin about this stuff!!!

No I do not yet have a sub, the only thing i have for my HT system so far is 64 of these little speakers and the 50" plasma!!! Im piecing things together from paycheck to paycheck with what little i have left to spare these days. I'd like to make boxes for these speakers because I think it would look much nicer that way, but the gentlemen that sold me these speakers said they would sound better with OB is there really going to be that much difference?

I have a buddy that does laser cutting I was thinking of doing a really intricate design for some speaker grates/covers, using some very expencive polished stainless pieces. or I can go another route with a different friend of mine who does CNC machining and can make something super nice, have it anodized and post machined to give it a really nice look to it.

this project has been put on the back burner for far too long, now its time to try and get my project on and in the wall.

I am going to purchase a 7.1 reciever first, any thoughts? im not looking for super duper top of the line, just something middle of the road that will do what it needs to do.

front R and L speakers as well as center will be in the wall, side R and side L will be mounted in the ceiling, as for the rear speakers I was thinking of putting them in the ceiling also or I can put them just as easy into the rear wall. so would it sound better in the rear with speakers in the ceiling facing down to the floor or in the rear wall facing twards the front speakers? will the speakers in the rear wall cause a bad sound effect?

You can try the Totem Pole speaker made by Jean Hiraga with these.

see: L'enceinte Totem (J.Hiraga) (in French but the pictures as always are self explaining)

He used 12 in a series/parallel connection. This is an open baffle of course and has a special form for the bass.
As your speaker looks a slightly bit smaller than the 4 inch Fostex you can of course increase the number . . . to 20, 32 if you like.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.