Speaker Shop location [Edit: Now open at 1578 Eglinton Ave West Toronto]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you Canadians on this forum know what happened to The Speaker Shop on Eglington Ave. in Toronto? Been shopping there for years and I went down there on Saturday and it was all gone. There was no notice to tell people that they had moved to another location:confused:

Does anyone know of any other shop that supplies raw loudspeakers and crossover components, say within 100 km's of Toronto.

Thanks, Doug:)

* Moderator's note, January 4, 2013:
See post #25 and contact by email here:
frank@speakershop.ca

They only closed their retail store on Eglinton. Apparently they have a factory somewhere in the GTA, and plan on having a corner set up as a store. Try calling them, either with the old number, or call the operator and ask for a new one.

There's Q Components in Waterloo, 800-363-6336, and Solen in Montreal.

Ron

transducer said:
They only closed their retail store on Eglinton. Apparently they have a factory somewhere in the GTA, and plan on having a corner set up as a store. Try calling them, either with the old number, or call the operator and ask for a new one.

There's Q Components in Waterloo, 800-363-6336, and Solen in Montreal.

Ron

The Speaker Shop has moved to 25 Curity Ave. in Toronto. (416) 782-4451 They are on the corner of St. Clair Ave. and O'Connor Drive. They are associated with The Canadian Loudspeaker Corp. They do have a factory also that makes the MAX speaker line.

To the fellow who said that there was a loudspeaker store in Guelph is mistaken as I am not aware of any.

Thanks Guys;
Doug
AUDIO BY DESIGN
Guelph, Ont.

Peter Daniel said:
If the information I presented previously is incorrect, I apologise, since it was given to me not from direct source and I never dealt with Speaker Shop guys..

No harm done Peter. I wish there was one in Guelph :) I drove down to Toronto on Saturday and was surprised to see The Speaker Shop closed. Never thought at the time to call the old number. DUH!! I had not been there in awhile. I used to buy JBL Pro drivers there. He is also the distributor for the BEYMA line. The owner there is Frank Fabian.

Doug

Actually I dealt with them once, when they had a store on Younge St. I guess the year was 1991 and I bought a subwoofer from them. The sound wasn't what I expected and from now on all my dealings were done with Zalytron on Long Island. I've been to Elliot's place many times (usually on Saturday;)). The prices are better than local guys and I never had to pay duties.
My friends, who gave me the contact info, are buying Beyma drivers from Speaker Shop and are very satisfied with the service. The drivers sound good too.;)

It was a single, very big box with one Focal driver, bandpass design,IIRC. I didn't like it, because it was very inefficient. I returned it, loosing 15%. I considered myself lucky anyway;)

Built two subwoofers later in, vented boxes, with two 12" Vietas in push pull arrangement and that was good. Elliot used to joke about Speaker Shop, calling them Youngee Guys;)

Speaker Shop

Peter Daniel said:
Here's the address to their new place, although it's not called Speaker Shop anymore:

25 Curry St., Toronto
416-285-5585 (ask for Tom)

Peter;

I just called the number you gave me and an answering machine says " youve reached The Canadian Loudspeaker Corp." The address given is Curity Ave. It gives extension numbers for The Speaker Shop also. Their hours are limited though, 2:30 to 5:30 weekdays only. Not very good for me as Saturday is my best day to go down there.

The other number I gave you (416) 782-4451 still works and get you directly to The Speaker Shop. They lost one of their key employees, John if I remember correctly, who went to another job in Hamilton. He had been at the Speaker Shop since the beginning on Yonge St.

The contact name for Canadian Loudspeaker Corp. is Thomas Irons. Looking at the website for MAX speakers, it is still unfinished as it has been for many months now. Clicking on contacts it still says " comming soon ". I don't know whats going on there.

Doug

Speaker Shop etc.

JOE DIRT® said:
there is also a place by 401 and dixie called AA electronics that sell all kinds of drivers but its all pretty cheap stuff...but I like going in there when I`m at active and sayal to see what they have
Thanks Joe D.

Maybe I'll check them out. What brands do they carry? Do they carry crossover parts ie: inductors, capacitors etc.?

Peter, I will check out Zalytron in N.Y.

Doug

kids went to a the most recent import car show
the max product was being flogged.

the speaker shop guys seemed full of themselves could never warm up to them

in contrast while vacationing in pheonix went to both driver vendors stores and had wonderful conversations about technology, speakers and audio in general.
(while there had nick at lambda courier me some surrounds and glue to the hotel -got it to me in a day)

is elliot as volatile as some describe?

ahhh, posted today (basslist)

The 2003 Q-Components Mail Order Catalogue is now available. We have added B&C professional drivers from Italy as well as Goldwood drivers and hardware. If you would like a catalogue please e-mail me at brians@loudspeakers.ca. If anyone in the US would like a copy please send a money order for $5.00 CAN, which is refundable with your first order. To view our old catalogue please visit our web page at www.loudspeakers.ca. It is available for download in PDF format.

An update

I just finished talking with Tom from the ex-Speaker Shop about their new line of products and what they now carry. Their main focus is certainly on their own line but they do still carry Peerless, Beyma and few other brands which Tom did not go into depth about. Their hours are still 2:30 to 5 so it's certainly going to be challenging to actually get there to investigate but with any luck their site will be updated shortly (Tom mentioned it should be done in a few weeks with full specs for their high-end line).

Scott

Re: Update

>>Their hours are still 2:30 to 5 so it's certainly going to be challenging to actually get there to investigate but with any luck their site will be updated shortly <<

Hi Scott;

Hey, I thought this thread was dead, I was surprized to get an email notification today that there was a new posting.

Yes, their hours of operation will be a problem for most people to access them and being from out of town it certainly will be a problem for me. They are not open any evenings or on Saturday either.

I did call there today and they answered the phone to " Canadian Loudspeaker Corp. ", not sure who I spoke to. I mentioned that I had been down there but couldn't locate them, so he gave me specific directiones:
They are one block north of St Clair on Curity. Best way I know is to go south from the 401 on Victoria Park to O'Connor Drive, turn right on O'Connor till you get to Curity, then turn right on Curity. He said they are just a couple of blocks up from there.

The Max website still isn't finished, it's still the same way it has been for a year now.

I asked the person that I spoke to today if they were getting a website or a basic e-mail address for the Speaker Shop, and he replied " there's to many magnets around there and they don't want computers around "!! They don't seem to be to interrested in doing business.

The Tom you mentioned was probably Thomas Irons, he used to manage the Max line at The Canadian Loudspeaker Corp., and Frank Fabian managed the Speaker Shop. Frank Fabian is one of the original owners of the Speaker Shop.

I'm not sure what's going on down there, but I miss the Speaker Shop store on Eglinton Ave., as I could walk in on a Saturday to look and buy stuff and talk to someone in person who was knowledgable.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.