PCB track width?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm in the middle of designing a PCB for an audio power amplifier. However I don't know how to estimate how wide the tracks have to be for the more high-current parts, like output, ground connections, power rails etc. Also, I'm not very familiar with calculating the maximum currents that can be expected in these lines.

Any input much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Per

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Remember also that when it comes to grounds you MUST consider what is actually going to be flowing in the conductors too. You HAVE to design so that all signal grounds are uncontaminated. Increasing the print size 10 fold will not eliminate this kind of issue.

As a classic example of that only today I was looking at an old Rotel amp and the 1 inch or so square copper print that connects the two smoothing caps together has a clearly visible ripple component across it of the order of several millivolts.

You must treat each conductor as a resistance... if it helps put nominal values in of say 1 ohm and ask yourself "would that cause a volt drop that would influence the signal ? " the answer must be NO :)

This is a useful reference.
The CircuitCalculator.com Blog » PCB Trace Width Calculator
There's other stuff that might be helpful on that site including a calculor to give you the thermal resistance of different sizes and plating thickness of via holes. It proved very useful for me when I had to design a board with surface-mount power transistors on one side, but the heatsink was fitted on the other side of the pcb. Multiple thermal vias from the transistor pads on one side, to similar pads on the other, (which then passed the heat to the heatsink/radiator) worked very well indeed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.