• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

e bay op tranformers opinion please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As nubie, I am trying to find some op transformers for my first Simple SE amp build.
I have read as many se transformers thread as I can find, so understand I am still learning about this stuff.
I was looking at E Bay for transendar, or some other op transformers and came across these:
OUTPUT TRANSFORMER 35W EL34 6CA7 TUBE AMP GUITAR AMP X2 on eBay.ca (item 380129776601 end time 04-Nov-09 19:44:47 EST)

Could somebody tell me their opinion as to how these would be for a simple se build.
They are from a Canadian source, which is good for me, as well they are rated for 35 watts rms with 2 EL34. Priced at $99USD for a pair. Is the fact it is listed as a gitar amp transformer make it not useable for a SE?
Any guidence in this would be a great help.
Cheers Ron.

Last edited:
I would not recommend that because it looks like a P-P OT which won't work for SE, and a SE amp is going to be a much lower wattage. I would recommend looking at Edcor SE OT's. I am sure that George can point you in the right direction. Also do a search here for Simple SE and what output tube you plan on using. I am sure many have built one similar to yours and will have info on what they used

Thanks for the info SigloOne.
I was looking at the Hammond's but some threads here said the new ones are not that good.
I was looking at that ebay listing because they were from a Canadian source.
e bay did not list any transendors.
Edcors might be the way to go
I was thinking of useing the EL34 tubes.
Cheers Ron.

Mungo: Finding Trancendars on ebay is a little tricky, as Gery (seller name ggaet) does not list them as "trancendars" in the title.

Here is a completed auction for a pr of 5K's with UL taps:

Pair 5k UL Audio Output Transformers for SE amp, 8 ohm - eBay (item 280400655987 end time Sep-23-09 17:04:02 PDT)

He regularly sells 3K and 5K SE transformers both with and without the UL taps. No UL tap transformers are $115 + shipping and UL taps are $120+ shipping for buy it now price. It appears that he presently does not have any listed, but he posts them fairly regularly. If you are a little patient, I'm sure that you can snag a pair. I spent the extra $5 and got a pair of the 5k'S with UL taps for my simple SE build, which is presently taking a back seat to another amp project.

On a related note, Soundtraditions sells Hashimoto transformers on ebay and also does not list "hashimoto" in the title, so they can also be tricky to search for.

Could somebody tell me their opinion as to how these would be for a simple se build.

The sellers specifies maximum DC "per side", which is a dead giveaway these are push/pull (not single ended) output transformers. These would be completely unsuitable for a Simple SE.

For a similar amount of money, I'd second the recommendation for the Transcendar outputs. I used them on my Simple SE, and I'm extremely pleased with their performance. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any Transcendars on eBay for a few weeks now. Sometimes it requires patience.

You could order the Edcor GXSE outputs. The GXSE15 offers excellent performance at ridiculously low prices. Edcor will require about 4 weeks to wind them for you, but they will show up when promised. You could go with the 8-5K for a "one size fits all" kind of solution. If you know your output tubes would perform better with a lower impedance load, or your speakers are substantially different than 8 ohms, Edcor has plenty of other options as well. The biggest downside to the GXSE is that they are open frame, and don't look very pretty mounted on top. I opted to mount them under chassis when I used them on my 6B4G amplifier.

Edcor also sells the more capable, and more expensive CXSE. Once you start to venture into this price range, you might considering looking at some of the other manufacturers as well. I started to build an index in the Wiki.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.