What's so special about the UcD180 implementation in the Genesis GR180 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi all,
Does anybody recognize the yellow PSU bypass caps used on the Hypex UcD180ST modules in the Genesis GR 180 amp? Pictures can be found on the below link:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/genesis_gr180_e.html

I'm building an amp based on the Hypex UcD180HG (with HxR regs) and I'm trying to figure out what is just so fantastic about the high current "Dynamic Power Delivery Supply system" used in this >5k$ amp based on 100$ amplifier modules.

Thanks,
Nic

... Does anybody recognize the yellow PSU bypass caps used on the Hypex UcD180ST modules in the Genesis GR 180 amp? Pictures can be found on the below link:

Genesis GR 180 - Hypex-equipped digital power amplifier - [English]

I can't really exactly see on the picture where the yellow caps are connected. Are you sure these are power supply bypass caps? Or could these be large film caps to replace the original coupling caps? In any case, the fix doesn't look neat. I also think, that for the price they are charging, they could at least have used 180AD instead of the ST.

Kurt

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Are you sure these are power supply bypass caps? Or could these be large film caps to replace the original coupling caps?

No - I'm not sure if they are bypass or coupling caps. Would have to buy it to find out:no:

I also think, that for the price they are charging, they could at least have used 180AD instead of the ST.

Kurt
Yes - its pretty amazing...
But if you are not happy with it in the "standard" version you can always get an upgraded "Maximum Dynamic Headroom Reservoir" power supply, in which case you will have to spend another 5000$:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.