Acquiring/making large pieces of wood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have in mind a large block of wood to use as the base in a dipole system. What's the best way to get one? I have some ideas but I don't want to unduly influence your opinions. I do want a high density/mass.

Dimensions should be approximately 20"x12"x4" (LWH), two pieces.

Not knowing the tooling you have available, a judiciously selected 2" x 6"-14' board could be ripped to 4", and crosscut to 20", and then glued face to face for 8 layers to achieve the desired dimensions. alternating white wood with something like Douglas fir would give you a little contrast in the layers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Here we are able to buy sleepers used on the railway. Pretty big, big enough?

Creosote treated? Not a good smell in the family room :eek:

I have in mind a large block of wood to use as the base in a dipole system. What's the best way to get one? I have some ideas but I don't want to unduly influence your opinions. I do want a high density/mass.

Dimensions should be approximately 20"x12"x4" (LWH), two pieces.

I would build a box with mitered corners (or veneer it) and fill it with some heavy ballast - sand, pebbles, lead shot, whatever.

I have a wood for you! This stuff is called Quebracho(SP?) It is an extremely high density tight grained wood that was once used in the manufacture of tannin. It is only found down here....it is used for firewood here for its high density & burning properties. You can allways tell if your working with this stuff as nails will penetrate only about 1/4"....& bend on you, it cannot be worked with hand tools and it weighs a ton! . It is used for railroad ties and fenceposts here for its resistance to the elements. It has a graining that rivals the likes of Walnut.
Wouldn't you know it, it is a slow growing wood that is being overharvested.
_______________________________________________________Rick..........

Build a box with an open bottom the size and shape you like. People here are saying to fill the box with sand or concrete but an easier way to add mass is to go to the sporting goods store and buy a weight, the kind weight lifters attach to free weights. These come with a convenient hole drilled in the center. Attach the weight to the under side of the box with a bolt and washer.

Iron is more dense than concrete and cheaper than lead, plus that big hole in center makes it easy to mount to the underside of anything with just one bolt.

Last edited:
See, the problem is I can't have a very wide face (front width), so to get sufficient stiffness I think I might have to make it solid.

Also, to those proposing sand or lead shot: I'm going to drill holes through it, and the holes may not always be plugged.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.