Headphone reccomendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Havoc said:
AKG 240DF Studio Monitor
Pleased to see you like the AKG240.
I ones used to have them.
They were very analytic.
When I compared them with the Beyer, I liked the Beyer more for two reasons:

Comfort: even after 2 or more hours, it's still comfortable to have on your ears.

Bass: never heard nicer bass trough a headphone than with the Beyer.

/Hugo

AKG and Sennheiser have many models (too many?) but I personally don't like the cheaper AKG. AKG 240 is not my taste like the Grado phones. Very uncomfortable. My Sennheiser HD545 did I get for a good price since they were an old model. I also chose from at least 30 models in the store in the price range fron 50-400 dollars. I got my phones for about 100 dollars.

I'll guess that you don't have the same taste like I so I recommend that you go to a store which has many models and really listen. Don't forget to bring your own music. :att'n:

Stax phones OK
Sennheiser Orpheus OK (including a OTL tubeamp!)

You have the AKG 240 and the AKG 240DF. Quite different headphones apart from the first part of the name.

Netlist: very strange. When I went shopping I had both the beyer 990Dt and the akg 240df on the list. I chose the akg because it is so comfortable, and found the beyer to have a very uncontrolled bass.
But they must also be about 15 years old now.

So you see, the proof of the pudding lies in the eating.
Just go out and listen to some headphones, decide then. You can't go much wrong if you stay to the proper headphone makers. It is mostly a question of taste. Only thing you need to know from start is if you will need a fully closed model or if (semi-) open will do.

Peranders: Stax? Very nice, but where did you find those for $400 ?????

Havoc said:
Aha! To be honest, my short list was:
Stax Lambda SR Pro, AKG 240DF and Beyer DT990Pro. But the Stax was off it as soon as I heard the price :( And that was without the matching amp.

Last November I picked up a pair of STAX Lambda Pro's off ebay for $US240. The owner had bought Omega's. They'd been factory refurbished a while back (have receipts) and I can show you at least 6 amolifier designs, both tube and sand which you could probably build for $150, and I bet all of them would waste the STAX amps. This is a DIY forum after all.

The STAX are sooooo superior to all dynamics you can't listen to them afterwards. I've owned STAX Lambda Pro's since the mid 80's, and have heard lots of dynamics and dynamic amps, and none have even come close.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Allow me to be contrary

IMHO, as someone who spends a good portion of his working life wearing HP, the most important thing is NOT sound quality, but comfort.

You should always test fit HP in a dealer or at friends, never buy them blind, it would be like going into a shoe shop and just buying the first pair off the shelf you liked. They could be £1000 Italian designer shoes, but if they are size 8, and your feet are size 10, they are worse than useless.

hd580's

Hi Guys,

Have ordered the hd580's. I listened to the 590's on saturday, and was very impressed, but didn't buy them in that particular shop as they were priced at £160 !!!!! I knew thay could be had for less, and also checked out the general concensus with comparisons to the 600's and 580's. I went for the 580's as I think they offer the best price compromise at present (for £95 new). Thanks for the info everyone.

Thanks
Raja

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.