Effectiveness of Dynamat et al?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are gonna do it, do it right. Which means spend the money to get everything covered. Take the time while you have the parts open to check for stuff that will rattle and try to take care of it now. Its a real pain to go chase them rattles later.

You are looking to add mass mostly, so think about how to do that. I know they make a lead adhesive tape that would be real cool.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I have a '98 Honda Civic Hatchback, and my main goal is to reduce road noise, which is quite a lot on the interstate, partially due to my 205 45/R16 wheels... What would be the best way to do this, I was thinking about starting with dynamat (or cheaper alternative), then trying to find something to deaden the roadnoise more, maybe specifically in my wheelwells..

Anyone have any ideas specifically related to road noise? I tend to drive on the highway a lot, and it just gets to me a lot.

As far as Dynamat, I started by applying a nice solid amount to my driver door over a year ago, and it stopped it from rattling, but I never did anymore of the car, and have a decent amount left.

--
Brian

When you pull your door panels off and other trim, you could apply sound deadening material to the outer door skin after cleaning it first real good. Then you can apply another layer to the door panel itself, to seal it off .

To further lower road noise you would want to add carpet type padding material, not just sound deadening material that adds weight to lower the freq. at which it vibrates.

low cost deadening

I used Peel and Patch from Home Depot (gutter section), but I now recommend a lower cost-identical makeup alternative from Lowes called...ready...Peel and Seal. It costs right at $1 per sq. ft. and the effects are tremendous.

I recommend it as the FIRST step in a stereo upgrade. Don't bother with the high dollar Dynamat since Peel and Seal is the same product (60 mil, aluminum backed, rubberized asphalt tape). It comes in 12" x 25' rolls.

HERE IS WHAT MINE LOOKED LIKE WHILE IN PROGRESS

Rob,

To install a layer of sound deadening product on your doors, floor & trunk & fenders is usually no more than 70sq feet.

70sq feet of any soundeadening product is going to weigh no more than about 25 - 30 pounds.

The extra 30 pounds is well worth it, it makes your ride quieter.

Why do Audi's & BMW's ride so quiet. It is because they have factory installed sound deadening.

When you drive a quiet car you have less fatigue. This is a good thing. Why not make your VW ride as quiet as a Audi?

If you reduce your cars road noise and tire noise by a couple of DB, your stereo system is in most cases going to be a couple of DB louder. Think about it!

The only time a person would add more weight than this is with a heavy MDF box and a whack of subwoofers.

Cheers

KevinLee

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.