First LM3886.........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I mentioned in my other thread that I wanted to pull together all the bits and pieces to summarise the way forward. I also thought it would help me understand how I was going to wired all the components together. The picture is below.

3821324618_9f790b9611.jpg

What do you think? Does it look alright? Grateful for any comments.

I've asked on the ESP Forum how I can power my loudspeaker protection circuit (ESP P39) from my soft start circuit (ESP P33). The secure notes makes reference to doing this but doesn't provide any detail.

Oh.....and it seems the loudspeaker protection circuit will operate with just a single output.

I am now in possession of all the boards for the P33, P39 and E24 so am in the process of identifying and ordering parts.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Don't assume ;) This is upgrade ilsand after all, probably a lot less traffic than usual, and the people who would normally comment may not even be watching. I had a look at the block diagram, but I'm afraid I didn't understand it (probably largely due to not knowing what all of the blocks are).

I've never had anything more complex than a mains switch a fuse and a terminal block....

Tony.

The diconnection network can not only lift the input ground from the chassis. You can also use it to separate that clean input ground from the dirty power and speaker ground, if you connect amplifier power ground and speaker ground directly to the case. For your first tests you should leave the wires long enough to try both configurations.

If you put the RF filter for the speaker output directly behind the amplifier, you also have protection, when the relay is off.

You may need a second RF filter at the amplifier input or move the existing RF filter as close to the amplifier input pins as possible. That way it filters out any disturbances that still enter the wires and traces on the way from the RCA connector to the IC.

Heatsink in the center? :scratch2: Well, if you have enough holes in the case below and above it, and enough distance to the supply capacitors.

Can't you feed the soft start relays from the same transformer as the switch circuit? The soft-start relay should not draw 5 VA and the relay before it has the same function as the one that activates the 5 VA transformer, so you might as well skip it.

Is that drawing on scale?

pacificblue said:
The diconnection network can not only lift the input ground from the chassis. You can also use it to separate that clean input ground from the dirty power and speaker ground, if you connect amplifier power ground and speaker ground directly to the case. For your first tests you should leave the wires long enough to try both configurations.
OK. That's a cool idea. I'm liking this disconnecting network more and more.

pacificblue said:

If you put the RF filter for the speaker output directly behind the amplifier, you also have protection, when the relay is off.
Am I worried about RF when the speakers are off? But yes. I can place the filtering either side of the relay.

pacificblue said:

You may need a second RF filter at the amplifier input or move the existing RF filter as close to the amplifier input pins as possible. That way it filters out any disturbances that still enter the wires and traces on the way from the RCA connector to the IC.
OK. Yes.

pacificblue said:

Heatsink in the center? :scratch2: Well, if you have enough holes in the case below and above it, and enough distance to the supply capacitors.
Well, I thought it might shield the amp from the PSU a little and keep the amp as close to the inputs/outputs as possible.

pacificblue said:

Can't you feed the soft start relays from the same transformer as the switch circuit? The soft-start relay should not draw 5 VA and the relay before it has the same function as the one that activates the 5 VA transformer, so you might as well skip it.
Well, the ESP instructions require a 5VA transformer delivering 9VAC. The switch circuit delivers 12VAC from 1.5VA.

pacificblue said:

Is that drawing on scale?
No. It's my mockup to attempt to understand where everything was going and how it was going to be wired up.

Thanks for the advice pacificblue. Very much appreciated.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Stuey, I've sent you an email. (it will come through with my email address, but don't feel obligated to reply if you don't want to give me your email address :).

Back on topic ;) PJPro, does the ESP article say you need the 5VA 9V for safety (or technical) reasons? Since you have a number of different modules it may be the case you can piggyback some stuff, I'm guessing that the reason is it assumes your main transformer will be providing say 25V (and may not be clean due to modulation from the main amp), so specifies a separate transformer. Rod could probably best answer the question of whether you can use your other transformer. The less transformers you have the better!!! I'm not feeling like reading all of the articles for the various projects :) I'f you are worried about the voltage you could just put in a voltage regulator to bring it down to whatever voltage (I'm assuming it ends up as DC) the 9V transformer ends up delivering.

I took a rather different approach to my LM3886 project I did a P2P. The thread of my (well most of it) journey is here --> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66255&highlight= there were a few other threads where I asked specific questions before and after starting the build but that pretty much documents the build process.

cheers,

Tony.

wintermute said:
PJPro, does the ESP article say you need the 5VA 9V for safety (or technical) reasons? Since you have a number of different modules it may be the case you can piggyback some stuff, I'm guessing that the reason is it assumes your main transformer will be providing say 25V (and may not be clean due to modulation from the main amp), so specifies a separate transformer.
It's safety. If you attach the soft start circuit to the main 25VDC transformer, you can arrive at a situation where the main fuse does not blow. Rod strongly recommends an auxillary transformer.

wintermute said:
The thread of my (well most of it) journey is here --> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66255&highlight= there were a few other threads where I asked specific questions before and after starting the build but that pretty much documents the build process.
Thanks, I'll take a read.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi PJ,

OK if it is for safety reasons (with respect to not running it off the main transformer) , then provided the switch transformer had enough grunt to run the additional circuit (I note it is only 1.5VA) then I would say it would be ok to piggyback off that (again assuming that there is some sort of regulation on the circuit or that it can run over a range of voltages). Probably best to pose the question on the ESP forums :) If you can save one transformer it is probably worth it... They can be noisy, not to mention the extra $$$.

I did note the discussions around safetfy ground on your main thread (I assume this is why Stuey has posted the earth loop article) . I can't remember the handle of the person wanting to earth the rca's to the chassis, but I can definitely say from experience that this will almost certainly result in very loud hum! ;) My first DIY amp which I made in 1984 had this problem. The hum was so loud that I had trouble hearing the music ;)

I ended up implementing the earth loop breaker which Rod Elliot suggests on his site for my Gainclone. The reason was that I was hooking it up to my PC, and it hummed with just standard safety earth connection (most HI-FI components (at least in aus) don't have 3 pin power plugs, so earth loops generally aren't a problem, but a PC does have a three pin plug, and so does an amp. With the earth loop breaker it is dead silent :)

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.