using a wall of 15" woofers for bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this idea to make a wall of woofers as a sub.
Lets say the wall behind my main speakers is 82" high x 86" wide. Speakers are placed about 5 feet into the room.

I can make a fake wall (big panel) that's 70" x 80" and 12" into the room. Essentially a big open baffle panel that's a foot from the wall. Then mount 5 15" woofers spaced closely from top to bottom (checker board pattern) behind each speaker.
Having a total of 10 15" woofers.
Woofers can be cheap 15" with Qts of about 0.8. and Fs about 30Hz, 93 db efficient. (around $20-$30 each on parts-express)

Anyone try this?
Is this a good idea to make good flat in room bass response?
Will there be a noticeable delay between wall woofers and mains?

I ran the "Edge" program to do a simulation. I ran into three issues:

1. My open baffle can be as tall as the basement height allows and therefore it can stand on the floor and go up to the ceiling, like a fake wall, making a vertical "short circuit" in the room. How do I properly enter this into the Edge program? "infinitely high and low baffle"?

2. The open baffle can be as close to the rear wall as the driver/mounting allows. What kind of effect will this have, do I need to somehow compensate for this effect or take into account when modeling in Edge? And will this work?

3. I can make the open baffle slightly LESS wide than the rear wall. I was thinking of making the open space to be the area of the driver cones. Is this a good idea?

Herman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.