bugle capacitors....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
one thing i'm wondering.
caps c8 and c11 jim said should have short leads to keep inductance down. i swapped some jantzen zcaps in those positions by putting them on the underside (before i found that post jim made).
leads are maybe 2.5-3" long (but larger diameter than the other caps). what type of cap would be good to use there? the holes in the board are probably a half inch apart and there is not much room to put something there.

the rest of the caps are jantzen crosscaps with the exception of two being audiocaps because partsexpress was sold out of the crosscap in that size...

changing the caps really brought out the highs and cleared up the sound of everything, was just thinking maybe it could be a bit warmer...the caps probably only have about 4-6 hours of use so far though.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
piwonka,

It sounds like you're using high voltage radial passive crossover caps for a low voltage active circuit. In my opinion that's a very large (and potentially expensive) overkill (which you're entirely welcome to ignore).

Most folks would use something like a Wima (or whichever brand you favour) MKP (metallized) or FKP (film/foil) polypropylene capacitors like these: http://www.wima.com/EN/fkp3.htm that are made for PCB mounting.

Polystyrene and silver-mica caps are also commonly used for that application if they are available in the appropriate value (tons on eBay).

..Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.