Recommend a woofer for Fostex FE103E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

Can somebody recommend me a 6.5 - 7" woofer that will work well with FE103E? It will be crossed at 250-400Hz (not sure yet). Fostex will be crossed to NeoCD1.0 tweeter at 4-5000Hz.

I do not care to much about best bass response, but I want a driver that has similar sound to Fostex and can go in max 25l enclosure.

I am thinking about Peerless HDS Excl. or Seas paper cones.

Thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We have had good results with (at least minimally treated) CSS SDX7. We've used it with FF85KeN, FE103e (FE103eN once i put them back in their box) and FE127eN. Likes to be in a 14-21 litre sealed box for best results IMO.

For a less expensive woofer, we are still working on some Silver Flute projects.

dave

Thanks,

But I do not think I can get CSS or Silver Flute here. I have to order from US and this will increase the cost.

I would prefer to use one of the following brands: Seas/Vifa/Peerless/Dayton/Beyma/Visaton/Monacor. I will try with Peerless Exclusive first. Hope it works.

Another question: is it worth getting FE108ESigma over FE103E just for use as a midrange? Or FE126/ 127?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Any good midwoofer should work. The key is that the woofers response needs to be good up to about 1k with no ringing.

tpsorin said:
Another question: is it worth getting FE108ESigma over FE103E just for use as a midrange? Or FE126/ 127?

FE108eS has really good midrange. I find the HF lacking (i'm going to add a tweeter to mine). If you aren't going to treat the cones, FE103 is probably a better mid than FE126/7... the 7k peak can be quite bothersome.

dave

tpsorin, I recently completed a project with the Fostex 108SigmaE and a Peerless 830874 woofer. The Fostex part of the enclosure is a 2,5 liter aperiodic TL, following Dave's advice, the woofer part of the enclosure is a 14 liters or so BR. The Fostex rolls off around 300Hz and is attenuated only. The Woofer is limited to 300HZ and below via XO.

After several tweaks I managed to get the woofer to integrate very nicely with the Fostex. They're quite a match, though this is of course very subjective. I do agree with Dave that though the midrange of this unit is one of the best I've heard (again subjective), the higher echelons are not as well presented. It really depends on your music choice. For the music I play I don't feel the need for an additional tweeter.

My two pennies... Good luck!

tpsorin said:
Hello!

Can somebody recommend me a 6.5 - 7" woofer that will work well with FE103E? It will be crossed at 250-400Hz (not sure yet). Fostex will be crossed to NeoCD1.0 tweeter at 4-5000Hz.

I do not care to much about best bass response, but I want a driver that has similar sound to Fostex and can go in max 25l enclosure.

I am thinking about Peerless HDS Excl. or Seas paper cones.

Thanks
Hello,

Just a small recommendation on the frequency of connection with the tweeter
I tested a fe127e with a monacor dt25ti crossed successively at :
- no crossed (full range)
- 5300Hz
- 3800Hz
- 3000Hz
- 2300Hz

Is the 2300Hz cutoff frequency that gave the best results !
I think the FE103 should not be very different from fe127. And I was able to measure a distortion level H3 important from 1.5khz
Not really good midrange driver...

http://www.audiyofan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7400&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.