Help Me Build My Speaker - (based off Pro Ac Studio 100)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some recommendations in building my speaker.

I started out wanting to build a straight up clone of the Pro Ac 100. After gathering plans and materials, it occurred to me that the ScanSpeak 18W/8542 7" midwoofers were unavailable.

It turned me on to the idea of changing those woofers in my plan to the ScanSpeak 18W/8545 7" Paper Cone Woofer from Madisound

More readily available, and possibly an interesting fit for this speaker.

I started looking at some different speakers - the Amish 45/95 -
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Amish_8545_9500.htm - and they seem to reinforce this combination with the 9500

another source of inspiration could be the Galtis - in the way that it uses the 9700 http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=38109&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=galtis

Amish Crossover:

8545_9500_series_v2.gif

Galtis Crossover:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Another potential Tweeter I had been flirting with is the SEAS Prestige 27TFFC (H0881)

As far as the cabinet is concerned (and crossover for that matter) - I don't know if I can use any of these due to the fact I'm looking to design a much smaller cabinet, in the ballpark of the Pro Ac 100 (below)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ALSO:

here is the original crossover for the Pro Ac 100:

113623d1236713175-diy-speakers-monitors-410096_1.jpg

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I want to retain the quality of these larger speakers - but put them into the Pro Ac 100's ballpark of size. In some senses, this just started out as a modified Pro Ac 100 - but due to the fact that I'd love to hear what different components would be capable of, I'm really open to ideas and suggestions!

thanks

I have begun to make my choices for the speaker:

After some research and listening, I am going to go a little bit radical and considering to change the Scan Speak 9700 out for a Vifa DX25TG tweeter.

I have literally no references to a crossover design that pairs this with the Scanspeak 8545 so I plan on designing one or possibly modifying a pre-made Madisound Solist Premium crossover.

As far as the cabinet size, would I be correct to assume I should go a little bit bigger than the cabinet it was based off of (the pro ac studio 100)

picture below:

Can anyone suggest a modded crossover design? (I have several listed below, mostly for the pairing of 8545/Scan Speak 9500/9700

best,
l

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.