gainclones single chip vs parallel config

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there!

I'm planning to build a gainclone as soon as my university exams end but meanwhile I'm doing some research.. (noise filtering, psu design, best pcb design, etc).

Well, in fact, I'm thinking of designing my own PCB's, unless I find anything that fit my specs..
But let's get to the point..

a 90-100W per channel with LM3886..
It is perfectly doable with a single chip per channel!

But some folks (based on national ap. notes http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1192.pdf) use a parallel configuration with 2 IC's per channel in order to get this kind of power.
Just like we can see at http://www.shine7.com/audio/pa100.htm.
The difference is that "shine7" uses TF package..

So, I'm just wondering.. single chip vs two parallel chip's..

Well, from what I can see/understand at the moment, at least theorically, with the 2 chip config I guess each chip would be less "loaded" and will give better performance.. like a car: it runs better when carraying less weight.
(Is this right or am I sounding crazy? :xeye: )

So, anyway, I would like to hear you people..

Thanks!!
RJ:)

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that my speakers are 6ohm each so my whole system will be designed according to this.

By the overture design guide, an LM3886 running on 36V would deliver about 87W into a 6ohm load and running at 38V about 98W. ( 'T' package, of course!)
That's just about what I need.. Anything between 90-100W would be great for my Technics speakers...

RJ

Your calculations might be correct but the problem is that the Chip can not dissapate the needed heat at those power levels ....

for a 6 ohm load the max Voltage I would use would be +/- 32v , much higher and the thermal protection will kick in .....

A TDA7293 will put out close to 100w into 8 ohms with a +/-40v supply and are quite easy to paralell ...

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet2/9/0ozxelyhtgfl5jsx9108fj3sqq3y.pdf

I actually like the sound of these chips more than the LM38XX chips but they sound better at lower voltages ...... I use one in a Guitar amp playing through a 4x12 and it is Extremely loud as in things start falling off shelves and pictures fall off walls ....

Cheers

I actually like the sound of these chips more than the LM38XX chips but they sound better at lower voltages ...... I use one in a Guitar amp playing through a 4x12 and it is Extremely loud as in things start falling off shelves and pictures fall off walls ....

Minion I don't want (at all!) to tell you are wrong in any way but.. I would not compare a guitar amp with a stereo amp..
Plus I don't think TDA's could be compared to LM's in sound quality.. I could be worng though...

See?! This is why I've been planning my amp for almost 3 months!!
I first began to think in TDA's.. Then a couple of experieced guys told me: "For the money? TDA! For quality? gainclone!! " ...
And here you come talking about TDA's again..
I just don't know what to think! :bawling:

RJ

I only mentioned the TDA Chip because you wanted close to 100W ... I also have used them in Stereo amps and I like them ....

the do sound considerably different , the TDA Chip has a Mosfet output compared to the BJT of the LM series ... the LM sound very crisp and clear and has a tight soundstage but can sound a bit sterile the TDA to me sounds more musical with more defined Bass .....

just throwing out info , do with it as you will ....

Cheers

The National spreadsheet gives a hint at what is possible, but maybe not what
is practical. Some combinations I've extracted...

60w @ +-25v / 4 ohms single chip
30w @ +-25v / 8 ohms single chip
60w @ +-30v / 6 ohms single chip
60w @ +-35v / 8 ohms single chip (actually more like 55w) The LM3886 is limited in power output at 8 ohms by the voltage rating.

120w @ +-35v /4 ohms two chips parallel
120w @ +-25v /8 ohms two chips bridged

240w @ +-25v / 4 ohms 4 chips parallel/bridged
240w @ +-35v / 8 ohms 4 chips parallel/bridged

360w @ +-30v / 6ohms 6 chips parallel/bridged
480w @ +-35v / 4ohms 8 chips parallel/bridged

The LM3886 can run the 4 ohm combos at +-28v with a bit more power (NOT TF packages)
if your heatsink is up to the task. A fan will help. The LM4780 or the LM3886TF should be
limited to +-25v at 4 ohms. The LM4780 is actually WORSE in thermal resistance with a non-insulated package than the LM3886TF with the insulated package. That's why National doesn't make the LM4780 in a 'TF' package. They also derated the LM4780 to +-25v at 4 ohms. The LM3886TF is marginal at +-28v / 4 ohms, the LM4780 is toast under those conditions.

That was the answer I was waiting for! :)
thank you so much!
your answer is what I though I would hear in the first place..

So, even if possible, it's more pratical and reliable to have chips in parallel to achieve this kind of ratings, right?

And, having two 3886 in parallel, how much amps are needed from the power supply? How can you tell? I was told 2-3A each chip is enough...but I don't know... :confused:

And by the way, (example: 3886 @ 30V) the 3886 vs 3876. I noticed the difference between them (when in parallel) is not that much.. (about 16W) which one should we choose in this case?

I'm sorry for making so many questions, I really want this thing to be as good as I can make it... Plus, I'm very curious! :cool:

Thanks!
RJ.

ruijorgemoreno said:
That was the answer I was waiting for! :)
thank you so much!
your answer is what I though I would hear in the first place..

So, even if possible, it's more pratical and reliable to have chips in parallel to achieve this kind of ratings, right?

And, having two 3886 in parallel, how much amps are needed from the power supply? How can you tell? I was told 2-3A each chip is enough...but I don't know... :confused:

And by the way, (example: 3886 @ 30V) the 3886 vs 3876. I noticed the difference between them (when in parallel) is not that much.. (about 16W) which one should we choose in this case?

I'm sorry for making so many questions, I really want this thing to be as good as I can make it... Plus, I'm very curious! :cool:

Thanks!
RJ.

Putting chips in parallel will make the amp more reliable as the chips share the load. But you won't get more power if the amp is voltage limited, as is the case with at 8 ohms. Note that in a parallel configuration a series resister is required in the output of each amp to help equalize the load (about .1 to .5 ohms depending on the number of amps in parallel). Also the gain setting resistors need to be .1% types to keep all amps very close together in gain.

the TF is designed for cheap assembly.
If you require high power and particularly high current for low impedance loads then the "F" is a severe restriction to keeping the chip cool.

Are your speakers really 6ohm?
These are often mis-specified 4 to 8ohm speakers that have a 4ohm bass/mid driver combined with an 8ohm treble driver via an appropriate crossover.
If your speaker is a 4 to 8ohm type then you must design the chipamp to drive 4ohm loading.

The maximum power from a 3886 chipamp driving 8r0 should be limited ~65W.
If you try to design to 60W into 4r0 you will find that the chipamp is very near it's current limit when cold. As the chip gets warmer or dare I say "hotter" the current limit drops and the chip will enter protection mode trying to drive a reactive 4ohm load.
I recommend that for 4ohm reactive speaker loading you aim for a maximum power output of <=40W into 4r0.

post9 shows a table of powers and impedances.
please note these impedances are resistive loads only.
National specify resistive loads for all their data. It makes their amps look good on paper.
National specify 25degC for the chip temperature for all their data. It makes their amps look good on paper.
You MUST de-rate for reactive loads and for higher temperatures.

Yes, my speakers ARE 6ohm each.

Each speaker or enclousure if you like has a tweeter and a woofer..
Each woofer has 6 ohm. each tweeter has 6 ohm. Really! :)

So my idea is to make (considering only one side) a 90-100W for the woofer and a 40-50W fot the tweeter, using lm3886's to the woofers and LM3876's for the tweeters..

For example: Supply voltage: 30 V
each tweeter (6 ohm): LM3876 (single) - 51W
each woofer (6 ohm): LM3886 (2 parallel ) - 116W :scratch:
'T' packages, of course!!!

Is this good or would you advise me to do it in another way?

Thank you! :worship:
RJ.

While reading and searching some stuff, I came to the conclusion that 100W is way too much for my woofer.. So is 50W for the tweet.. :s

Sorry people.. Anyway, I decided to go on a +/-60W for the bass and 25-30 for treble..

Well now I have another issue..
My bookshelf 2-way speakers have 2 inputs. high-freq and low-freq.
The high input has a capacitor to the tweet..

I need a 5KHz x-over!!!

My problem is:

Should I mount a passive crossover after the amp?
Ou sould I go onto an active crossover before the amp, using an amp per tweeter/woofer?

(forgetting if one takes more work than another)

What do you people think?

(I am soooo annoying :worried: sorry... )
Thanks!
RJ.

If you don't want to use two power supplies, your amplifiers will have the same power for woofer and tweeter.

If your speakers already come with a cross-over, the easiest solution is to leave them as is, even if it is only a single capacitor. Should you decide to go for a new cross-over, the active solution is more promising. It results in an easier load for each amplifier channel, which is good for the sonic performance.

if your speakers already have two sets of input terminals then we call them bi-wireable.
The crossover has been split for the user to all two inputs to be used to drive the speakers.
In single wire mode the two sets of terminals are paralleled and both halves of the crossover receive an identical signal.
When one uses the bi-wire ability then one amplifier sends an identical signal into each pair of cables to the two halves of the crossover.

One can choose to bi-amplify these bi-wireable speakers.
Connect a pair of identical amplifiers each fed with an identical wideband signal to feed the two halves of the crossover with an identical wideband input.

The bass driver and the treble driver each with their own half of the crossover are designed to receive an identical input, that is why they can be used with a single amplifier with a single set of cables.

For a first effort at bi-amplifying, don't make it any more complicated.
Listen to the speaker with a pair of 50 to 60W chipamps, compare the speaker with a single 50 to 60W chipamp driving the paralleled terminals.
Tell us how the comparison sounds.

If you don't want to use two power supplies, your amplifiers will have the same power for woofer and tweeter.

Not necessarily! I can go with a 3886 for each woofer (about 60W) and a 4766 (stereo) for the tweeters (about 40 W).. Vcc=+-30V
I also read that this chip is kind of crappy but one can make a "derivation" from the power supply and add it a voltage regulator and so on...

Anyway, AndrewT, I think I'll go for your advice..
I'll order the parts and I'll get started asap.

Thank you very much people! You have been a great help for me! :worship:

RJ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.