JVC Buyout Oval Spkrs for Open Baffle Line Array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Parts Express is currently offering some JVC 3X5 oval speakers (P/N 269-482) with a rectangular frame in their buyouts section. I grabbed 36 with the intention of using them in an open baffle line array. Stacking will be simple using a rectangular cutout. The parameters are also not too shabby. They also look amenable to the standard treatments (puzzlecoat, etc.). Any suggestions for cheap tweeters to complete the picture?

Who cares? I don't even own a CRT-based TV any more. I was more interested in their other possible uses, given the close stacking allowed by the oval shape and rectangular frame, and reasonable parameters for a small, cheap speaker. I bought a circle jig with them as well, so shipping was free. I'll know more when they arrive.

wrenchone said:
Parts Express is currently offering some JVC 3X5 oval speakers (P/N 269-482) with a rectangular frame in their buyouts section. I grabbed 36 with the intention of using them in an open baffle line array. Stacking will be simple using a rectangular cutout. The parameters are also not too shabby. They also look amenable to the standard treatments (puzzlecoat, etc.). Any suggestions for cheap tweeters to complete the picture?

Have you checked out ApexJr?

cheers

Doug

I was thinking of using 16 drivers/side - my ceiling isn't as tall as that. Even using some cheap (and relatively tiny) Samsung oval TV speakers, I found that an open baffle line array had amazing midrange presence and sensitivity. The JVCs have it all over the Samsung drivers I have in house, both in cone area and max cone excursion.

When I can get to it, I'll be trying the JVCs with a respectable baffle, most likely cheap plywood for starters. This should make the bass response a little more meaty, so I have at least a chance to cross them over to a woofer of some sort. The drivers as received already have some treatment to avoid cone breakup in the form of two glue beads applied along the long axis of the cone at the junction of the cone proper and the edge surround. Other treatment might help to smooth out the upper range response, but I'm not trying anything until I audition an array of as-is drivers. BTW, these are the first commercial drivers I've seen employing any obvious form of cone treatment to modify the response.

To repeat my rationale for buying these things - I wanted to get around some of the combing problems inherent in a line array by mounting the speakers with the long axis horizontal so that the center to center distance was as small as it could be. A lot of blue-tac will help seal between the drivers and damp the cheap stamped frames.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.