So, I've got this effing AMP 10 "Basic"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for the pseudo-profanity but I hate wasting my money and this is something
I have been revisiting for almost a year now.

I have this amp10 "basic" that I undertook building almost a year ago and still it is not running.
Granted, I put it aside for 6 months or so to cool down but I dug it out today in an effort to
see that my money wasn't wasted.

I just can't seem to to get it to unmute. My voltage measures fine at the big tank caps (30.9v or so depending on the weather:) ) but the relay never trips.

I suppose I should just give up and buy one of this t-amps that are cropping up all over but
I just can't bring myself to stop. Also, I know about myself that sometimes I just can't see the forest for the trees.

This is where you come in and say "I had exactly the same problem and solved it by tweaking this or that". And before you ask I have tried R1 as both 56k and 1K and neither has served to trip the muting relay.

Should I let the $100(with Antek transformer) or so slide away and dump this in the garbage?

Hi Vaughn,

There is a good chance the TA2022 bit the dust if everything else checks out fine but it still won't unmute. The 5V input to the chip is very sensitive; I've killed two or three of them playing around with supply decoupling.

Don't give up though. Just check everything again and make sure your not overlooking something simple like a reversed diode or a wrong resistor value somewhere.

Maybe post some voltage readings.....

5V (PIN 16 & 21) = ?
VN10 (PIN 2) = ?
HMUTE (PIN 32) = ?
MUTE (PIN 24) = ?
BIASCAP (PIN 27)= ?
OUT1 (PIN 10) = ?
OUT2 (PIN 7) = ?
REF (PIN 17) = ?

theAnonymous1 said:
Hi Vaughn,

There is a good chance the TA2022 bit the dust if everything else checks out fine but it still won't unmute. The 5V input to the chip is very sensitive; I've killed two or three of them playing around with supply decoupling.

Don't give up though. Just check everything again and make sure your not overlooking something simple like a reversed diode or a wrong resistor value somewhere.

Maybe post some voltage readings.....

5V (PIN 16 & 21) = ?
VN10 (PIN 2) = ?
HMUTE (PIN 32) = ?
MUTE (PIN 24) = ?
BIASCAP (PIN 27)= ?
OUT1 (PIN 10) = ?
OUT2 (PIN 7) = ?
REF (PIN 17) = ?

Thank you for the suggestions but as I was going through and testing each pin I made it to the
third pin you listed(pin 32) and slipped...

I'm pretty sure the chip has bit the dust, smoke and a black mark on top of the board don't bode well.
It blew the fuse so of coarse I had to try another fuse, which blew as well. I think I am well and
truly done with this. I guess I have a spare transformer now for a future project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.