Bathurst GTG and /or possible DIY 'showoff' in australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Decided to make this a double bunger.

Some aussies here may be aware that a bit of a tradition is being established.

Tho mainly organised thru the auspices of the australian stereo forum (SNA) I do not feel it is limited to the members of that forum, so an invite is also extended to any DIYaudio members in australia.

As I live only a few minutes from the track, it is starting to become an annual thing that each year during the bathurst races (early october) quite a few guys come and hang out for the weekend for our yearly 'forum GTG'. A lot who are race enthusiasts take the opportunity for free board and easy access to the track to go to the races, others simply take the chance to get away and have fun with friends they have made online. A great way to put faces to names you have been chatting with for a long time.

Any of the diy guys who feel they'd like to be a part of the gtg are more than welcome, come and meet a great bunch of blokes (well, we can't do much about the 'host', but the rest are great) from 'all over australia'...a lot are interstate visitors, who share your passion for hi fi.

ALTERNATIVE PLAN

Is there any interest at all in a diy meet?? Bring along your creations, show and tell etc etc.

This would be a seperate dedicated weekend (maybe a long weekend?) so we could all have a great time. Sure many discussions would ensue.

No point in 'making plans' on that right now till we get some idea of any interest.

Can't remember the name of the british forum, but they have had a few 'show and talk's' that by all accounts have sounded like they were fun.

I imagine that a diy one would be cool too.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I have to get to one of these GTGs sooner or later.
I'd love to bring a creation for listening and critiquing.

I have a small box trailer but it is Victorian so unregistered ( small trailers are exempt here) but perhaps I could bring my party system up.

I've nothing else completed lately except a rebuild of my subbie and NO WAY am I a gunna try and lift that thing onto a trailer.

So all things considered a long week-end makes more sense to me.
Even better as a long range plan would be the Easter break next year.

would imagine running a trailer that is legal in vic into NSW would be fine for a visit??

interesting one, L platers in vic can do the limit, but in nsw are restricted in speed. What does that mean when an l plater from vic comes to nsw and does 100?? Doubt the cops would book him?? Maybe they'd stop them and educate them, doubt they'd be fined.

but who knows.

won't go into to much planning yet re the diy gtg, may as well wait to guage more interest or not.

still, grab a lift for the october one, should be plenty of guys coming up, tho have not yet begun to organise it on sna so maybe they are all sick of me by now heh heh

re the critiquing. guess we gotta be careful what we call it, hence my word 'showoff' as opposed to 'soundoff' say.

The thing is that it is really possible that it could be a learning experience for everyone. You could learn from them, equally they could learn from you.

The point is that often we slave away in our sheds, yet have no external point of reference to compare them to. the 'that's MY boy' syndrome.

But if I were an OB builder, and someone brought along a different OB, then yeah that's when you can cross fertilize and see how you can improve your efforts, a chance you'd normally not get.

Me too, I could actually hear an OB (have heard the orions) and get exposed to different approaches. (many many ways to skin a cat, and once you get the opportunity to hear many other systems you realise that there are many different, equally excellent approaches)

Personally I found that liberating. Way back, if you didn't agree that mine were the best you'd ever heard I would have thought you were a) nuts, and b) offended.

After hearing many excellent systems of fellow members (now friends of course) I no longer would be insulted or upset in anyway if mine 'were not your cup of tea' as I now know there is no ONE way to perfection, and we all hear differently and indeed prefer different aspects of presentation.

Did a quick experiment recently with a friend, I setup the speakers and levels to get the centre image exactly centre...for me. We measured and marked the exact centre point, then he hopped in the chair for a listen.

We differed!! Up to six inches difference in the positioning of the centre image.

Interesting experiment to do, and very simple.

The point is that we all hear differently, I found that fascinating, esp on such a simple thing as that.

So, to be exposed to all sorts of different approaches is fantastic.

No holds barred no expense spared approaches, maximum bang for the buck approaches, single driver etc etc.

would be a great weekend I reckon

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Yes the interaction and other peoples perspective on some of my builds would have been invaluable "back then"

I hate it when friends come around and tell me that my builds sound "great" it means they are not really listening.
I know what i am doing right, it is what I am doing wrong I need help with and a little constructive critiquing can help a lot.

You're right that for a quick trip into NSW I could pretend I didn'rt know the trailer needed to be plated.

Maybe by next Easter I could have the current OB plans (much modified since initial planning ) completed.

I also have a few questions on multi-amping of a bass set-up that we could bull-pen around the campfire while you make charcoal and I burn sausages.

I did mention I was chef in a previous life didn't I???

Brett? is Easter a good time for you? Andy? Gainphile?

I'm wishing I hadn't sold the truck to pay for the wedding now.

Racing and hifi, now we're talking :D

I'm interested subject to permission from the minister of war and finance. If someone can trailer my system (a pair of 30x120cm OB, small amp, and preamp) I'd be happy to show them off. While, my travel north would pass some scenic mountains like this:

image-5251533-0003.jpg

:D

If I get the Unity's done by then, I'd be interested, but would have no way of moving something so big and heavy that far. As it gets closer, I'll see if I can swap my car with a mate and take his with towbar and trailer.

Found the diaphragms for the B&C drivers today, so it can now go ahead. Been looking for them for ages.

PS: just thought if I got them there, I could also try them with the DEQX?

Hello fellow Aussies

Now I would love to be involved in a weekend or putting on a show. One problem for me though is to actually transport the system, lets put it this way it weighs at least 300kgs, but in some ways it sounds like something you guys might be interested in hearing.

Some basic stats:

Open baffle, 5 drivers per side, 8 amp modules, full battery power which includes all amps, TT, and other bits, computer based digital front end, all items built to match both visually (including shelf and room control devices) and electronically, 41/2 years in the making and about 100 db per watt per side.

The system is up and running, but will be finished off in final cases within the next couple of months.

Sure would be cool to share. I could bring some smaller scale stuff to a weekend in Bathurst, but not from this system as it is all meant to work together, not as separate components.

An actual DIY show run in my home town of Goulburn would be cool, its central to lots of Australias major population base and I reckon I could probably get the Conservatorium of Music to provide a venue and maybe some live performances as well.

Best time here is Just after Easter, the weather is a good as it get then.

Cheers
Zero One

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Maybe we could get together with Terry for Easter and do Goulbourne on the way back, having live music as aside by side comparison sounds like a very cool idea, how much would using the Conservatorium of Music cost?? I'm sure it would not be free.
Perhaps we could charge admission and auction off ? / sell ? our efforts like they do at some shows in America??

#300kg for a system isn't unusual , one of my sub-woofers weighs in at 130kg I sure don't move it easily or too often tho

Moondog55 said:
Maybe we could get together with Terry for Easter
Bathurst w/e is a bit of a tradition, and I don't see Terry changing it. Something else in addition at Goulburn at Easter would be a possibility.

As for system weight and difficulty, mine won't be far off 300kg with the speakers and amps, and that's before subs.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Brett I understand the tradition, but dragging a trailer load of gear for 2 days seemed to me a rush, that's all; where-as for Easter we could actually spend at least 2 days listening and helping each other with design ideas and constructive criticism.

If I can get away for Bathurst W/E I'm in; just that I may not be able to bring any gear with me, although I'd love the opportunity to crank up the party system to see/hear what it could do.

Hi Guys, I would like the two options, one in Bathurst as a get together, sharing, chewing circuits and having a great time and building friendships then one which is an actual small scale show type event in Goulburn that might attract non converts and DIYers

As for the conserve I am fairly confident it could be either free or very cheap, I have 3 close friends involved there and good contacts, who are aware of my pursuits and always keen for a listen. Our Conserve is very community focused and the building is really interesting.

I have a lot of past clients from my LP to Digital workshops all over the South East of NSW and the ACT who have expressed a desire to come to an event like this and I am sure everyone else has a lot of contacts as well.

I also have some good contacts with people who would probably give talks/presentations on various aspects.

If the interest is there I am happy to make some preliminary investigations and as for Bathurst I want to be there for sure.

Hi Moondog55

The conservatorium is quite large, 3 stories, lots of rooms and a couple of large rooms,it is an historical building of substantial significance. Acoustics are quite good, depends on the room but in general would be fine.

Plenty of seats etc all moveable.

I will have a chat to the principal this week, see what he says.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I have another thought.

This would be an ideal opportunity for a sale and swap meet.
It turns out that I have a small excess of OB drivers ATM, I would be prepared to donate 4 of the cheap Jaycar woofers as part of the prize pool, two 10s and two 12s, BNIB and SWMBO would appreciate getting her sewing room back if I can clear some of the surplus stock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.