• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

46 and the Tubelab SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Type 46 is a 5 pin tetrode that when triode strapped is a fine single ended DHT amplifier, as pointed out in the prior 12AT7 / 46 thread.

With a suitable base adapter, 46 and VT-63 is easily useable in the Tubelab SE. Prefabricated adapters are commonly available on Ebay.

Compared to a 45, the 46 biases differently, but the Tubelab SE has sufficient range to easily accomodate this tube. It takes a little more heater current, and has almost twice the amplification factor of a 45.

I set mine (VT-63) to about 275 volts and 20 mils. I started at about 25 mils, but decided that was a little hot, so I backed it off to 20 mils.

Although less powerful than a 45, they sound like a more powerful tube than 45, maybe because of the amplification factor.

Win W5JAG

tubelab.com said:
307A / VT225 also works in triode with an adapter. I think that it makes a better 300B than a 300B does...

From a private email exchange with Pete Millet, here are the suggested 307A/VT225 op points:

1) 5k load, and ~300V plate voltage, -30V grid bias (or the equivalent self-biased), ~40-50mA Ip. If you want more power you can push up to 350V or so at 50mA without any problems.

2) For lower output, run B+ of ~280-300 and a 680 ohm cathode resistor, with a load of about 5k.

Enjoy,

About a half dozen Ken-Rad VT-225's followed me home from Dayton

I was at Dayton this year. I only bought 10 tubes (I really am trying to cut back). I got a 4500 VCT 150 mA transformer for $5, and a partially built power supply containing a very large 550-375-0-375-550 volt at 300 mA + several 6.3 and 5 volt windings transformer for $10 (nice cabinet too). I also got several MRI amplifier boards cheap to try as HF linear amps. I won't be back home until next weekend though.

The VT225 has a 5.5 volt filament. They seem to work fine in a Tubelab SE with 5 volts though. I was testing a pair in class AB2 P-P right before I left Florida. 30 to 35 WPC is easy but I haven't listened to them yet.

I have also cut back on tube buying. I need to be selling.

I got the VT-225's ($6/each) and a NOS pair of GE 6BQ6GA, and some really nice Johnson ceramic Septar sockets from Fair Radio on Thursday, together with a few other odds and ends.

At the hamfest I got a chinese 5U4G and a pair of KT66 from Stan, and in the flea market I bought a pair of 5932 ($15 for the pair); a NOS 12BV7 and 12BE6 for a buck each; and three globe 47's for $60. Unless you count TV lamps, that was it for hollow state. I did restock on caps, building hardware, and some other small parts.

I was loaded down like a pack mule with tubes last year.

I think the crowd was up this year.

Win W5JAG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.