Slightly modded TA2024 PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A while ago I ordered a TA2024 board, fully populated, from eBay. With a 12 vDC supply it makes an excellent bookshelf speaker amp. I ordered another to try a few mods: beefier PSU filtering, moving all the jacks off the pcb, and changing the input caps.

The result:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Quite a fun project. More about the mods here: class d amp mods

and I would welcome any input for other things to try with generic Class D boards.

A very entertaining and informative article you wrote there!

I just wish I had knowledge and skills like you have to be able to do what you have done! Hopefully, in the near future, I can manage my own modification.

In your article, you compare and give your opinions on a few PCBs housing TA2020 and TA2024 and I was wondering if you happen to have some experience with the PCBs used in HLLY TAMP-20 and Topping TP-20. Both are completely assembled units based on the TA2020 chip and they look quite nice outside. But I haven't got a clue how they fare in terms of the quality of the PCBs and the components used. Especially, the PCB used in HLLY certainly looks different to my untrained eye.

If you have experience with them or can provide your personal opinions based on the pictures of these PCBs available on the Internet, I would very much appreciate your time and help.

BTW, has anyone listend to and compared HLLY TAMP20 and Topping TP20 (unmodified ones)? I hope I am not creating a war of flames here with my question about these products. I just want to hear what others think about these products as they seem to be quite nicely built at very reasonable price.

Thanks for any help and opinions in advance!

swkbkk said:
A very entertaining and informative article you wrote there!

I just wish I had knowledge and skills like you have to be able to do what you have done! Hopefully, in the near future, I can manage my own modification.

If you can drill, cut and solder, you could do that too. There was very little electronics knowledge in that project, just desoldering onboard jacks, ordering a bunch of new parts, cutting and drilling aluminum end plates and digging endlessly for the right types of screws and nuts :) The rest was just listening tests with different types of input caps.

Regarding the other ebay/tripath products, I really cannot comment on ones I haven't used. However, there is some real 100% crap on ebay in terms of amps. There are threads here that reveal some of the brutally awful worksmanship of some of the products, including counterfiet parts and dodgy designs.

As a rule of thumb, if they don't have a nice big picture of the pcb for me to look at, I'll stay away. And if they do have a nice big picture but it looks like a mess with crappy components, I'd stay way.

The 8 Audio stuff is top notch in terms of build quality, finish, and decent parts. I've bought PCBs and fully finished units from them and they are responsive to email. Find 'em here:

8 Audio Store on eBay

Hope that helps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.