HD or high resoslution downlopads?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
spzzzzkt
I managed a few downloads from them before they brought in their Beta software. After that, they seemed to find something wrong with my Visa Card and rejected it. They wouldn't permit Paypal either. A friend in the U.K. managed to beat their restrictions by giving his postcode as 90210 (!!)
The last time I checked, they still stipulated U.S.A. residents only.
BTW, I am still a member, and get all their updates.

SandyK

Promitheus

Playback from the PC via SPDIF and a good DAC gives the best results.
However, there are a couple of commercial programs that are not
too expensive.- Audio DVD Creator and Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo.
Goland's Audio DVD Creator will allow you to put several audio albums on a DVD with static video content,(menus and track information) so as to maximise the space available. It can handle 24/96 files, and even do upsampling from lower resolution files.
Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo will allow you to make DVD-A discs, that are playable only on DVD-A/SACD players.

SandyK

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Sandy,

Not sure why you guys are having troubles?

I just tried registering as a new user using a different email address (still com.au) and the ONLY information I was asked for was email address and password. I was then able to shop and purchase music using paypal. No questions about being a US resident.

Promitheus

I've been D/L FLAC files to save on bandwidth then converting to Apple Lossless. I normally play downloads from computer -> Echo Audiofire 2 -> spdif -> dac..

cheers
Paul

PC music setup for HD tracks

Promitheus,
I currently use a fanless PC only for music:
Foobar2000 ---> ASIO ---> RME HDSP9632 ---> SPDIF ---> Buffalo DAC + IVY I.
All my music is FLAC files from ripped CDs, DVD, and also HD tracks downloaded from Linn Music online store. I have not tried HD Tracks for the moment. I can easily play music from 16/44 to 24/192 with my setup. Linn Music sells some 24/192 FLAC files; their Haendel's Messiah (Dublin version) is great.
My previous source was a TEAC VRDS25; sound quality wise, I won't go back.
Next step: an ESI Juli@ soundcard to feed the Buffalo DAC with I2S.
All the best,
Alain

alain_online
Now that you have a DAC of the calibre of the Buffalo, have you tried reripping a couple of your highest SQ discs to .wav, and doing a comparison with the .flac version ?
I find reconstituted .flac to .wav files to have lost a little of their sparkle.
SandyK

FLAC vs WAV

After converting some FLAC to WAV and WAV to FLAC, I've made some listening with 24/192, 24/96 and 16/44, playing successively the different files. Of course, this test setup does not allows me to draw solid conclusions.
I was expecting no difference, and I was wrong.
The music seems to be slightly improved in many ways: less sparkle (yes Sandy), a more analog presentation, better dynamics, ambiance feeling more there, better timbre accuracy, a more involving music. I can't say the difference was bigger with HD tracks.
Does anyone has same results, and even better, an explaination ?
Before ordering bigger hard disk drives, I'll repeat the tests after making some upgrades.
All the best,
Alain

Alain
To keep it simple, I only mentioned "sparkle" Your other findings are in line with mine, including also a less diffused location of the vocalist. The other differences that I have mentioned to you in a PM, have also been confirmed by a friend in the U.K. who also uses a Buffalo DAC, but with SOA Paul Hynes regulators.
SandyK

Re: PC music setup for HD tracks

alain_online said:
Promitheus,
I currently use a fanless PC only for music:
Foobar2000 ---> ASIO ---> RME HDSP9632 ---> SPDIF ---> Buffalo DAC + IVY I.

I don't have a dedicated fanless PC for music, but I get good results with the use of temperature controlled fans, and the use of a roll and a half of self adhesive felt, (AU$5 a roll) strategically stuck inside the side covers, as well as on the support metalwork for the CD/DVD drives to help reduce vibration effects. It would be nice to have an analogue PSU to supply the CD/DVD drives though.

SandyK

RE HD TRACKS.

A warning to non U.S.A. residents.

Do NOT register then use a Visa Card. My Visa Card was rejected previously when I attempted to pay with Visa.
A friend tried to pay using his Visa Card today. The transaction failed , but it shows on his Visa statement.
He was unable to start a download, despite the payment showing. Correct email details plus your password does still appear to work IF you pay with PayPal. I am presently 70% through a download. In their terms and conditions, item 11 clearly states U.S.A. residents only.

SandyK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.