alternator noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i haven not searched but i want a direct answer. i just put in a diferent speaker amp in my truck today the only two things changed was the amp and location of ground wire. i now have ALOT of alternator whine. is it just ground location or amp? it was clean metal that i bolted to. any quick ways to check without removing the amp?

i fix mine like this its a much better and less ghetto fix

100_1522.jpg

If you want even less "ghetto", install a mini blade fuse holder into the back of the deck's chassis betweed ground and the rca ground pin and use a low current (1 or 2ampere) fuse to protect your cables. That small circuit in the pioneers also protects the rca cables from melting in case of a voltage problem in the preamp section of the amplifier.

I agree. A fuse is needed there. It burned because a power source came into contact with the RCA shield. It wasn't likely the remote output because the 3 amp fuse probably would have held. It's likely due to the main 12v B+ wire coming in contact with the shield.

Without the fuse in the head unit shield, this can cause the RCA cables to burn just like the main power cable would burn if it was improperly fused and made contact with the chassis ground. The RCA cables will burn the entire length of the cable until it reaches the melting point of copper. At that point, the carpet will likely be burning.

If you want something simple, a 1 ohm 1/4 watt resistor will work. It won't burn unless the shield is again shorted to a power source.

audiobahnkid592 said:
that player was blown up upon recieving i have never blown up one of my persoanl ones

You don't have to touch 12v to an rca ground to fry it, the internal circuits in the amp can have issues and send high voltage through rca ground and fry it. Most of the time in cheaper amps but I've seen it happen with a few large alpine amps and fosgates.

I just had an insignia do it to my old bench HU. Amp had a fried ground trace on the shields and popped the HU. Don't know what happened to the amp it came that way. But I hot-swapped that HU on lots of amps before that with no problem, had to put a ground wire in it now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.