Printer recommendation please ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking to buy a 3 in 1 printer , printer , scanner , copier.
Budget end of the market (max say £60) for general purpose use, primary concern is low running cost's for ink refills !!! I already have an Epson DX 6050 which is great for all around print quality , even on foto's , but I think the refill price is a little high. The new printer is for another location.

Thanks

Are there any printer manufacturers left who don't put "DRM" chips in the cartridges? When I bought my last printer, it was because Canon had plain old chipless cartridges, and thus I can still get cheap ink (Canon iP3000 - they seem to sell for a lot second hand because of this). I have heard that even Canon put chips in the new ones now though.

A Brother multifunction (printer/scanner/copier/fax) that was bought a couple of years ago didn't have chipped ink reservoirs. I refilled the black with no problems. However, the printer automatically wasted ink cleaning the print head, so the colors ran dry even though I never printed anything in color. And it wouldn't print black if the color carts were empty. And after a while the WiFi connection stopped working.

If you mostly need to print documents, a dedicated laser printer is a good way to go. Toner isn't cheap, but it's a far lower cost per page than ink. Printers were built like tanks in the 1990s, and many are still very serviceable after 15 years. New laser printers can be had very cheaply; this is partly because they come with "trial" size toner carts, so you're gonna be buying a new toner cartridge very soon. However, cost per page is probably still very competitive, and the print quality should be better than with an old laserjet that only did 300 or 600 dpi.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.