Morel Ultimate Sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm using the 10". The absolute best sound I have ever heard in sucha driver- Tight, punchy, deep, musical, transient rich. It sounds and behaves like a way smaller woofer and it measures superb.
Highly recommended. Please ignore above money comments from people who doesn't know (edited by mod) about the driver.... It's highend and expensive.

yeah, the price is a bit much. no doubt there are better deals out there. do you have any experience on these particular drivers though? i have found others with similar spec, that look the same on paper, for about half the price. wondering if there was a big fuss out there with these subs. havn't heard much at all about them.

Lindell said:
I'm using the 10". The absolute best sound I have ever heard in sucha driver- Tight, punchy, deep, musical, transient rich. It sounds and behaves like a way smaller woofer and it measures superb.
Highly recommended. Please ignore above money comments from people who doesn't know (edited by mod) about the driver.... It's highend and expensive.
Sounds like you're angry that you overspent on your woofers and have to justify it to everyone else....

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
The only special thing I can see about those Morel sub drivers is the HUGE voicecoil, and it might make the difference

But it still has low sensitivity
High inductance
High Qts

Im confused, so yes, I dont know "jack****"

Honestly, I would really like one of those, and have looked at it more than once
But this kind of money will buy you almost anything out there

And you are in US ?...they may not be that fancy, but I would take a look at AE

Or maybe Aurasound

Around here there some talk about "ElementalDesigns"

tinitus said:
The only special thing I can see about those Morel sub drivers is the HUGE voicecoil, and it might make the difference

But it still has low sensitivity
High inductance
High Qts

Im confused, so yes, I dont know "jack****"

Honestly, I would really like one of those, and have looked at it more than once
But this kind of money will buy you almost anything out there

And you are in US ?...they may not be fancy, but I would take a look at AE

Well, i listen with my ears, not my eyes.....

Yeah, downside is low sensitivity, so you need some juice to drive it.

Lindell said:

What?

And by the way, what has your first reply anything to do with the topic? Dude asked for feedback on an expensive driver.
Not to get lectured by a cheapo....

Read the OP. He ends it, "thoughts?". My thought is you can buy more performance for less.

Cheapo eh? How would you know? Maximizing cost benefit is good at every pricepoint.

And I do know something about the driver. I know it's overpriced. I know the high(ish) inductance could be much lower. I know the low sensitivity means that it will be more likely to encounter thermal compression.

I don't view the high Qts as a downside as tinitus does (for a sub, anyway), you (largely) just wind up with a driver better suited to a big sealed box, which is a plus in my book.

Certainly it's an interesting driver, and the large voicecoil does seem to be a plus for driving force distribution and potential reductions in cone distortion.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
rwinberg said:

Starting up a new project and was looking at low range drivers

Whats a low range driver
A sub crossed below 100hz
A woofer crossed higher

Looks like that Morel is sub only
And fore us EU people its actually not THAT expencive, compared to other options
But in US, there seems to be a lot more options

Maybe also look at Peerless XXLS, but only the 10" and 12" with ALU cone
Is said to really have nice smooth response, up to a point

It really depends on how you intend to use it, and what you plan to design

Efficiency of this driver is something that did bother me. I have a satellite system right now that I will test the woofer i buy on before building a whole new system. And efficiency was one of my main goals in creating that system.
I am still deciding whether to incorporate the woofer i buy into a three way system or to drive the woofer with a seperate amp.
with this morel it is almost certain that i'll need a seperate amp.
I agree with the fact that this is a "sub only"
i have looked at other drivers such as the focal wx 13, the eton 11", hivi. the focal and eton would be good candidates for a non-power app, the hivi would need power.
I have owned several of the focal utopia wx drivers and i LOVE them. so when i came across this driver it caught my attention. similar attributes. STRONG motor system. similar to the aurasound.
I am leaning toward not driving the woofer with a seperate amp, so it looks like this one might be out, but I will most definitely keep this one on a watch list for a future powered sub application.
I would love to hear it though. I can see this being an incredible driver. Money aside. I believe there is a reason that companies like morel, eton and focal charge great deals of money for their drivers. they aren't out to rip us off, but that it is a fair price for the engineering in these pieces.
that being said, there are less expensive drivers that i have fallen in love with too. my first system i spent no more that $150 on all the drivers (vifa tweeter, audax mid, swan sub) and I return to listen to that system over and over. there is some sense of pleasure from building a system with little money that will clobber more expensive systems on the market.
I have had thoughts of challenging one of my friends and fellow DIY to a "cheap system" competition. get the best results we can without spending more than $100 total.
This driver wouldn't be an option!

;) ;)

tinitus: I have had bad experience with metal cone mids in the past but haven't had ANY experience with metal cone woofer. I have found, along with others i imagine, that they tend to "ring" around a certain resonance of the cone itself.
Now, that is only for the mids i've used (seas excel). I'm not sure if i'd find the same with a woofer. haven't done much testing on metal cone woofers. only that one particular mid/bass.
other than that peak i have really enjoyed the detail of a metal cone. (took care of the peak in xover)
i do think with metal drivers the peak is due to a higher freq resonance, so i don't think it would be an issue with a low range driver.
I do like the idea of metal cones because of the rigidity.
thoughts?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
rwinberg said:

I do like the idea of metal cones because of the rigidity.
thoughts?

Most hard coned woofers will have breakup ringing
Even hard paper cones will do that
But breakup ringing may sound different too, depending on material and design
Very often you will see bigger drivers seemingly behave much better
Probably because their bigger cones are a bit more flexible than a smaller similar driver

I hate to use drivers with breakup
But if you want the best bass, I dont think there is any way around a stiff cone

But if a woofer is to be used say up to 300hz, and theres breakup above 1khz, it needs to be taken care of in the crossover, one way or another, or it will be very audible

To the best of my knowledge there are no real good woofer cone around
Probably because its too expencive to do it right, or because its just much easier to use standard cones, and others may simply not know what its all about, or they really dont care and only interested in profit

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I did think about it, so Im glad you asked :)

Actually I would say "build your own" :D

Nah, but to modify a woofer does make sense
And there are several ways to do it

One is to find a woofer with nice "untouched" paper cone
Then stiffen the cone
I use polyurethane glue, you know the foamy kind that expands
Its light and stiff
I also use a kind of cheap industrial dustcloth...its very light and full of holes
Its laid out in flower pattern
The expanding glue is a bit tricky to "control"
But it may not be easy to find a good paper coned woofer with no coating
One could also try and mount a new "repair-cone"
Instead of spider it could be mounted with thread strings
Coat it like described below, but only lightly, and mostly to make it look better

An opposite way is to use a stiff cone and then just coat it
Fore that I use the "tarr" like stuff they use fore roofing-felt
Use some appropriate thinner
Place the driver on an old turntable, and while spinning the coating will be nice and smooth

This cheap 10" Dayton just came to my mind as a woofer with quality "motor" and very nicely shaped stiff cone that might be improved considerably by coating

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-368

As a "plugandplay" woofer, maybe this nice looking 10" AurumCantus with advanced carbon cone could be something
But might also benefit from a bit of coating

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=296-434

Oh yes, an exstra magnet could be mounted too, and should be oriented so that it repels the back poleplate

If want to make really nice speakers one will have to be very creative, and maybe think less about quality ;)

Attachments

• billederden blå cafe 027 (wince).jpg
    billederden blå cafe 027 (wince).jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 379
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.