Hello there! I'm new here. A question about speaker kits if you please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been a lurker for a while now, not quite as much on this site as others because the people on this site seem to hold a degree of understanding to which I am only just coming to grips with.

I do enjoy reading and try to understand as much as I can.

I understand the basic concepts (at most) of most speaker boxes, and I understand the basic meanings of the most rudimentary (most advertised) T/S parameters of speaker drivers.

Beyond that I'm useless.

But I am interested in building a set of speakers that will initially be bedroom speakers (15*12 or thereabout) and strictly for music. Never to be used for movies.

Now here's the thing. I'm really interested in the "Statements" (and not the mini statements either, I want the full experience). But I look at them on paper and think: there's a setup that wants to do it all: be a hifi that hits in the subwoofer range.

I have an idea that, even for music, it would be preferably to have a system of stereo speakers that maximize the midbass region but cut off sharply, requiring a subwoofer, but maximizing the accuracy of sound in that now more focused region provided by the mains.

Or would the Statements be just incredible?

re ''would the Statements be just incredible?'' - probably, but they're also an incredibly difficult build for a first timer - go for a simpler 2 way

re ''it would be preferably to have a system of stereo speakers that maximize the midbass region but cut off sharply'' - not if the drivers are good quality and you don't play them at extreme levels

also, I prefer a speakers that respond below the range of musical instruments, ~low 30s, to give a sense of the recording environment

well, I understand that they would be diffcult to build, that's why they wouldn't technically be my first prject, because I can have someone build the cabinets can't I? Or perhaps have them cut the wood and have me glue it together. And then I could hire a service to help me tune them.

My first goal is merely to establish a stereo that outperforms what I'd spend on retail. I was actually thinking about getting a set of Klipsh RF-82's but then remembered this site.

After getting those up and running I would then begin my first true DIY project. Something simpler, I'd look for something I can build for my PC that would outperform these:

http://dynaudio.com/eng/multimedia/facts.php @ $1500 retail!

http://dynaudio.com/eng/multimedia/250mc.php they want almost $1000!

So that would be my first build right there. Then onwards and upwards I guess. Begin buying ocilloscopes and such and begin taking it more seriously then.

As of now, I just want a really nice stereo.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
..of_letters said:
Thank you sir, but what specifically should I be looking at there? I must also admit my German is very very weak.
Take the web site address http://www.lautsprecherbau.de/ and toss it into your search engine. It (the search engine) should return the web site URL and somewhere have the word "translate" - click on the word translate and the site will come up in English. ;)

Hey, pretty neat! Thank you. To the gentleman above, was there supposed to be something better than the Statements on that site?

It's either those or the Zaph ZRT with Madisound prefab boxes but I searched this very site and a lot of threads ended up discussing the Statements as a better alternative.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.