• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube audio circuit analysis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where can I find a complete SET amp circuit analysis ?
I found many references to single stages, but did not find a complete design guide that explains why a certain tube works in that position and why another will not fit the bill.
I am particularly interested in a 300B SET with a single or 2 stages.
I like the Tubelab SE with 5842-300B and only understand part of it.
I would like to find more info about the ECC99-300B combo and also about the 6SN7-6SN7-300B design. I have difficulty understanding how to design a input/driver stage with a twin triode like the 6SN7. Is it easy to figure out with the datasheets ?

thanks for your help :)

I do not know if a nicely prepackaged version of what you are looking for exists. You can do a search here or elsewhere for books, threads such as "On Line Tube Leaning for Nebies ", "Suggestions on books", "Books for Newbe" etc are on this forum, but I think you may have already done this, and you are looking for something else.

Also the Morgan Jones book and the Bruce Rozenblit ( sorry if I spelled that incorrectly) book may help you.

You use the words SET Amp Circuit Analysis. I think you may have to do your own circuit analysis. It is unlikely that someone has analysed the exact same circuit you want analysed, so you have to do your own analysis. Although I could be wrong, maybe some famous circuits are analysed this way.

In other words you need to know all about Kirchoff and Thevenin and Norton and matrix algebra and all that circuit analysis stuff. If you already do, and you just need to know how to apply that to tubes, then the data sheets giving gm, mu, rp etc are some of what you need.

But if you dont recognize those terms then you need to learn circuit analysis. Do you like math by the way ? :cannotbe:
A google search will turn up some circuit analysis books, I do not know if they are good for self learning or not. I learned this stuff in school about 1974 using Hayt & Kemmerly, and I see that book is still being sold, but I learned in a classroom situation with exams and all that, there may be better learning methods available.

I may be biased due to the fact this is how I learned, and maybe there is an easier way, I just dont know what it is.

lowtherdream said:
Where can I find a complete SET amp circuit analysis ?
I found many references to single stages, but did not find a complete design guide that explains why a certain tube works in that position and why another will not fit the bill.
I am particularly interested in a 300B SET with a single or 2 stages.
I like the Tubelab SE with 5842-300B and only understand part of it.
I would like to find more info about the ECC99-300B combo and also about the 6SN7-6SN7-300B design. I have difficulty understanding how to design a input/driver stage with a twin triode like the 6SN7. Is it easy to figure out with the datasheets ?

thanks for your help :)

Steve Bench's site, and look for "Loadlines I - V"

Radiotron Designers Handbook

Pete Millet's Site lots of tech books on line and free.

I would get the Morgan Jones book. (It's also worth it to get the other Morgan Jones book with practical building advice.) He's not a huge fan of single-ended circuits but it covers what you need. Plus it's approachable by anyone and nicely written. Some of the books on Pete's site are also good but if you're serious about learning the Morgan Jones book is a nice volume to sit down with and work through.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.