1st amp (and preamp) kit recommendations ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been considering jumping into DIY for years now and the bug's resurfaced. I've been researching and getting recommendations. Can someone with experience in any of the following comment on the merits of the kit and sound quality? My 'shortlist' to date (in no particular order):
1. White Noise DVA100 and MOS125
2. Velleman K4005
3. AKSA zen 55 watter
4. ~ 50 watt gainclone (using Scott Nixon's boards)
5. Pass Zen

Please feel free to provide additional recommendations for kits or circuits you like that aren't on this list (e.g, JLH class A). For example, there's 4 versions of the Zen so I'm not sure which is 'the best' or 'easiest'.

I currently have an active SS preamp and I don't need lots of power as I use 86 db / 8 ohm 2-way (kit) bookshelf speakers in a 12' x 16' room and I'm not a headbanger. With my dB meter I measure average SPL's in the 70-80's at my listening seat and peaks are never above 98 dB even in the rare instance when I'm jamming with rock music. Simple preamp kits / circuits recommendations are also needed. I'm initially considering just a decent pot or attenuator with the amp, maybe with a buffer. Thanks.

can i recommend the velleman k8021 preamp kit?

i just built it myself a little while back ..

one thing though .. i recommend upgrading the stock op-amps .. i put opa627 in, and it feels much more relaxed, and not quite as bright as stock opamp
i fould that the tle that was in the kit was a little too bright for my tastes, but hey .. you might like it :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13068
that was my thread about the above preamp :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.