Auditorium 23 Solo Vox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.sonicflare.com/_audio_a23solovox_images_side.jpg

http://www.toneimports.com/auditorium23/images/svox3.gif

I always thought this was a pretty interesting cabinet. It really just looks like a simple OB with adjustable back panels. After examining the photos above, i am not sure the back panels are adjustable at all and may in fact be fixed. If we can get some dimensions on this we may be able to backward engineer it. Maybe we can improve the design for other, more affordable drivers? I wonder if this design was done using measurements or by ear? Regardless, i bet it sounds good.

Godzilla

according to what i had read they were supposed to be adjustable but found to not need it so are fixed.
the curved baffle and sides are thin i think 15mm or less? shouldn't be that diff. to build a form, steam bend and laminate 1/8" or so solid sheets of hardwood, much the same as piano's are constructed.
a good set of measurements would be great, tell the sales person that you want to take a few measurements to figure out where you'll place them. whatever you do don't mention anything about diy or this website to the guy. good luck

mp9 said:
the curved baffle and sides are thin i think 15mm or less? shouldn't be that diff. to build a form, steam bend and laminate 1/8" or so solid sheets of hardwood, much the same as piano's are constructed.

Curves are quite elegant, but perhaps they're counter-productive?
I read elsewhere on this forum where someone was suggesting replacing stepped stacked pieces in a horn with a smooth curve. The response offered was that the steps actually attenuated the HF more effectively, and so improved the stereo image.
Would the same advice be relevant in this case?

Perhaps stacked steps - though less elegant - would be sonically better, AND easier to build!

What do others think?

Doug

The curves appear to be the whole reason for the success of the speaker. The speaker is reported to be proprietory to the manufacturer but a similar is available. I was told that the rear internal panels are stationary but I would think that moveable panels may in fact help tune the speakers to a specific room placement. I'll wait to pass judgement until I actually hear a pair.

I listened to the speakers at an owners home. He had a premium set up so I think I heard the best they have to offer. I won't go too much into detail as I probably lack the overall experience with single driver speakers. The sound was good but not great. I may not be tuned to the single driver experience but they lacked the highs and lows that I am accustomed to with two way speakers. The fit and finish was good but I showed pictures to a wood working friend and he found them ugly and easily bettered. I would love to hear another opened baffeled set of speakers made by a DIYer. I think you could get the sound close to what I heard. I have seen plans for a set of speakers with the wings or sides attached via piano hinges which may be the way I'll go. If a set of plans ever show up for the Solo Vox please feel free to send them along. I may change my mind again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.