My DIY Phase Plugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tried my hand at some phase plugs. I used Craftsman 23mm sockets. I used a metal chop saw to cut an inch off the square ratchet end. I then used a lathe to get them smooth and square. I only had a few minutes to give'em a try. They sound much better, they really seem to open up the sound. I hope to give them a better listen tonight.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ryan

Nice job .
The first one is a little scary when you cut up the dust cap on an expensive or irreplaceable driver.
I have made some of aluminum and some brass ones.
The best results for me were made of very dense exotic hardwoods. My experiments were done with some nice little full range drivers bought from www.partsexpress.com for (us)$.49 on closeout I bought 24 of them. All showed a clear improvement most obvious in midrange detail. No test euipement purely subjective. When combined with Dammar varnish treatment to cones they were really quite surprising for a mere 49 cent speaker. I then installed some on a pair of Snell JII speakers with great results as well.

Tell us more.

amp-guy said:

I have made some of aluminum and some brass ones.

Could you tell us more about your experiences with brass/aluminum phase plugs.
Just last night I was experimenting with making some brass phase plugs on some cheap drivers.
The plan is to do it for my FE167e's when I have the technique down.

My experiments are far from finished, but here's what I was up to last night:
-excuse the phone-camera pics.

#1 - Dustcapectomy

Attachments

• 01 dustcapectomy 1.jpg
    01 dustcapectomy 1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 658
my process

#7 - clean ALL debris out of center of driver
#8 - remove tape from gap
#9 - screw in new phase plug

#10 - Enjoy.

Now it wasn't all as easy as it looks. I ran into a few problems.
-but that why I'm doing these experiments before I get to my FE167e's.

I have not done any listening yet, but will do soon.

Attachments

• 05 product.jpg
    05 product.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 682
Re: Square??

Raphael Shaw said:

Ryan, I really don't know what I'm talking about here, but my intuition tells me that a squared-top/sharp-edge would be a bad Idea.
-Is there a non-cosmetic reason why you made them this way?

It can't be any worse than this http://www.decware.com/newsite/DFR8.htm

.....and a hex socket is substantially cheaper than the 200$ they want for it :D

Not that either will work as well as a bullet shaped, or a mushroom shaped plug.

Magura :)

For the extra work involded in making a bullet or mushroom shape phase plug or the cost of buying some, I thought I would try the socket. I had read of a few people trying this with success and knowing of the decware design, I thought this cant be too far off. After some listening I have found that most of the midrange shout is gone and the sound seems much less directional. As far as I'm concered this has done it for me!

Gio, just by ear using the blink test cd, I can hear 31.5Hz no problem, but it is not quite full volume (with respect to the other tracks). 40Hz seem to be full volume. No sub right now, I'm not sure I need one.

planet10 said:
From that last picture, i'd suggest a plug that is fatter (so there is less gap) and longer (tip should reach to the top edge of the whizzer (at least))

dave

I agree mine have about the same clearance as the voice coil/pole piece. I didn't want to take the chance of metals chips getting into the gap so mine are fastened with a small amount of JB weld and positioned with shims till set up. never tried one of the mushroom shapes though.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
yan6 said:
For the extra work involded in making a bullet or mushroom shape phase plug or the cost of buying some, I thought I would try the socket. I had read of a few people trying this with success and knowing of the decware design, I thought this cant be too far off. After some listening I have found that most of the midrange shout is gone and the sound seems much less directional. As far as I'm concered this has done it for me!

Somewhere deep in my email, i have comments from a customer, that tried both the decware socket and my plugs. The sockets are back in his toolbox (i've not tried the socket -- getting it out after putting it in is not easy)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
amp-guy said:
anybody seen Steve Deckart's new phase plugs?
vac tubes? yep thats right.
http://www.decware.com/newsite/DFR6.htm
I don't know about this one, seems to me the internals would resonate badly. But hey Iam not adverse to at least try it.

Me too... and we did find that. The idea is not original to Deckart (IIRC, either Cal's or Chris')... see the picture published in this forum post (ie Aug 05 at the 2nd annual Vancouver Island diyFEST (#6 21 aug 09)) at least a year before he released his new plug

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=712922&stamp=1125340084

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=712940#post712940

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.