Hard drive motor as a bearing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am in the middle of my DIY tt project. I want to use an acrylic platter and my main problem is the bearing.
I have a motor of an old Hard-Disk. It looks very quite and without any noticeable tolerance. I want to use it as a bearing, not as a motor!
Does any have experienced with such a solution? Do you think it can work?

Thanks,
Yaki

It's a good choice, provided you address two issues you will have with any bearing/shaft configuration:
1. The platter needs to be firmly attached to the bearing. The HD motor doesn't have a long shaft so simply resting the platter is perhaps not good enough. I would consider using screws through the holes on the motor used to attach the HD platters.
2. The HD motor itself needs to be adequately supported by the plinth and horizontal.

Thanks

Hi,
Thanks for your kind help. I will check this option soon and I will compare it to Rega bearing which I now have. I might simply turn the Rega bearing upside down, that is, attach the sub-platter to the base, and install the sleeve into the platter. The main problem which I see, is oil leakage... Do you think it might work for me?

Yaki

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.