Anybody know how to connect the DIR9001 with a TDA1541A in a non-os dac ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I was remember that I did see something about 16 bit in the data sheet, so I did look again and found something who seem to say 16 bit.

I include a captured image of this part in the data sheet.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Attachments

• capture.jpg
    capture.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 907
First of all,

In NOS mode, TDA1541a can only accept I2s format and when you see the data sheet of 9001, the 16bit format is only in Sony format (right just.) I2s is not the same to Sony format so you cannot switch 9001 to 16bit-Sony format and feed the data to Tda1541a which is in I2S.

If TDA1541A is not in NOS and the DAC has the filter (i.e. SAA7220) in-between receiver and the DA chip (means TDA1541A), 9001 can be used in this case.

by the way, you can switch 9001a to i2S format (High in FMT1 and 0) and connect it to TDA1541a. The dac will sound. You may try.

Best Regards,
Leo

hi,

TDA1541 will accept the first 16 bit of data from the I2S format bit stream which is in 24bit. It means 4 bits will be lost (the last 4 LSB). Some say 9001 is backward compatible to older I2S 18bit format but I doubt.

You can connect the 9001 to 1541a by switching its to i2s mode. The DAC will sound but with lower volume due to the lost of the last 4 bits.

Hope this help. I just move to Toronto. are you in Toronto?

Leo

LeoJar said:
hi,

TDA1541 will accept the first 16 bit of data from the I2S format bit stream which is in 24bit. It means 4 bits will be lost (the last 4 LSB). Some say 9001 is backward compatible to older I2S 18bit format but I doubt.

You can connect the 9001 to 1541a by switching its to i2s mode. The DAC will sound but with lower volume due to the lost of the last 4 bits.

Hope this help. I just move to Toronto. are you in Toronto?

Leo

Hello Leo

Not in Toronto but I did live near Ottawa 10 years ago and now I live in Quebec laurentides mountain.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Hello

Andypairo and Leo

Andypairo said "TDA will just ignore the lower bits..."

Leo said "It means 4 bits will be lost (the last 4 LSB). "

But the last significant bit are important, it would lost important low level and soundstage informations ?

Looking at a schematic of spencer DIR9001->CS8412 adapter, it seem that we still need to use the CS8412.

Anbello

I will look at this chinese bbs.

Thank to all

Bye

Gaetan

jonners said:
Here's the schematic for the DIR9001/TDA1543 DAC that anbello referred to: http://www.pic16.com/soft/TDA1543SCH.pdf

To use the TDA1541A instead of the 1543, the connections to pins 1 and 2 have to be interchanged and connection to pin 3 remains the same. It works - I've had it playing. :cool:

John

Hello John

What is the K1 - K3 switch in that schematic ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Here's the schematic for the DIR9001/TDA1543 DAC that anbello referred to: http://www.pic16.com/soft/TDA1543SCH.pdf

To use the TDA1541A instead of the 1543, the connections to pins 1 and 2 have to be interchanged and connection to pin 3 remains the same. It works - I've had it playing. :cool:

John

Hello

Using only coax SPDIF input, do I need to keep the 74HC00 in that circuit, could I connect the coax SPDIF input directly to RXIN of the DIR9001 ?

Btw, I may add a SAA7220 with a reclock.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.