regulator question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have checked in the data sheets where it explains roughly how to do this, but i dont understand it all and really need it explaining to me (sorry)

how can i get a 1A voltage regulator to work with higher currents... i know youve got to use a pnp transistor but i do not understand the rest of the circuit... could someone show me what circuit i will need to do this (please)

thanks alot

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
This is for a 12V reg, sorry about the quality, but it's from my collection of web snippets from a while ago;)

Attachments

• reg1.png
    reg1.png
    2 KB · Views: 309
For those that care about such things, the drawing is really a complementary feedback pair (CFP) aka Sziklai pair as is also sometimes used in one leg of an audio power amp. A power supply reg is just a DC power amp.

Feed audio into Vref of a power supply? - who said that? :eek:

fezz said:
thanks for that, i assume it is the same for a higher voltage circuit - but i still do not understand how R is defined - and why it is there

Hi
here is my calculation, maybe help

First choose max current thru 78xx (must be smaller then 1A to avoid excessive heating, and bigger then 0,1A for stable operation) I choose in my PS I(reg)=0,25A),

Then R =Vbe/Ireg=ca 0,7/ 0,25=2,8 E, ( power transistor will start conduct when Vbe reach ca 0,7V)

Power dissipation on R is Pr=0,7*0,25=0,13W, I use 1W resistors.

If calculated R have not standard value, take bigger one (smaller current thru 78xx), or smaller one (bigger current thru 78xx). In this case god values are 2E2, 2E7, 3E3.

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.