• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Boosing the power of your existing amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just recently purchased a Traynor YBA 200 to replace my old amp. It is rated at 200w which is enough for the 410 I am running, but an 810 is in my near future. I would like to avoid having to lug around two heads to every gig, but I will if I must. That being said....my question is:

If I wanted to keep this head and just beef it up what would I need to add/replace? Is it as simple as adding/replacing components? Would the enclosure be too small to house extra tubes without overheating? I am new to the tube world so I'm not sure what would be reasonable in some cases....

foxtrotlush said:
If I wanted to keep this head and just beef it up what would I need to add/replace? Is it as simple as adding/replacing components? Would the enclosure be too small to house extra tubes without overheating? I am new to the tube world so I'm not sure what would be reasonable in some cases....

Get used to lugging around two heads. What you're asking is almost certainly impossible. To "beef up" the current design would require the replacement of the power supply, the finals, the OPTs, at the very least. You would probably need to redesign the front end to take advantage of the increased power.

You would also have a very likely overheat problem as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.