What beats the R2904/7000 ring radiator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine who I trust on 100% about audio said that has compared the sound of the Esotar T330D with the 2904/7000 ( this is the older Revelator ring radiator, not a Illuminator ) and the SS has been better in all ways. the Vifa XT25TG which is based on the old SS top model Revelator is also a superb tweeter if you could use it properly :) When cut at 7Khz or more and with a few modifications, it can defeat almost any tweeter ( it is not worse than the 2904 but it has different sound, somehow darker and greasy and has a little less resolution than the 2904 ), if used too low it has high distortion. With a xover point of 4.4Khz the Vifa was superior to the T330D.

If you can cross the tweeter at 6-7Khz, the Raals are superb and by my opinion better than the 2904/7000. However it is not easy to find a midrange driver fast enough to match the Raal and this makes it quite a specific tweeter.

smellygas said:
Hi, just wondering - does anyone know of a tweeter (of any type) that sounds better than the SS R2904/7000? I'm curious if anyone has any first-hand experience with something better.

SG
I don't like domes at all.

Try a good compression driver and waveguide combination. Or a ribbon like the NeoPro5i or an AMT like the Mundorf or Beyma TPL-150. I've heard all but the Beyma (I will soon though) and fall heavily towards the CD/WG combo.

Re: Re: What beats the R2904/7000 ring radiator?

navin said:

I assume by 2904/7000 you are talking of the Illuminator.

It really depends on the application. Under some conditions tweeters like the B&G Neo or RAAL or Seas Cresendo/Millenium, etc.. might fare just as well or even better.

The R2904/7000 is not the Illuminator.

Brett said:
I don't like domes at all.

The R2904/700 is not a dome.

SG

Mario Pankov said:
If you can cross the tweeter at 6-7Khz, the Raals are superb and by my opinion better than the 2904/7000. However it is not easy to find a midrange driver fast enough to match the Raal and this makes it quite a specific tweeter.

This is helpful. I've heard someone else preferring the Raal ribbons too. Has anyone else had personal experience with the R2904/7000 ring radiator (the flagship SS tweeter) and found a different tweeter that sounded better?

SG

smellygas said:

This is helpful. I've heard someone else preferring the Raal ribbons too. Has anyone else had personal experience with the R2904/7000 ring radiator (the flagship SS tweeter) and found a different tweeter that sounded better?

SG

Well, if you read tweeter mishmash at Zaphaudio.com, AFAIK, he still think that the best tweeter money can buy is the Seas 27TBFC/G. Since you can afford a 400$ tweeter, you can probably afford that 40$ Seas and see by yourself.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

simon5 said:

Well, if you read tweeter mishmash at Zaphaudio.com, AFAIK, he still think that the best tweeter money can buy is the Seas 27TBFC/G. Since you can afford a 400$ tweeter, you can probably afford that 40$ Seas and see by yourself.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

I couldn't find where Zaph wrote that. All I can find is a description of the similar Vifa XT25, which reads: "Smoothest and most extended response curve in the group, and resulting CSD is excellent." Zaph then desribes the (R2904)7000 as "essentially the high end version of the XT25. Performance is indeed a small step up in all areas." Honestly, I would be a little skeptical of a Seas $40 tweeter sounding better than SS's flagship tweeter, especially since Seas has higher-grade offerings of its own. But again, I'm curious if anyone has any first-hand comparisons themselves of the R2904/7000 and something which they preferred.

SG

Well, you're right that he doesn't say much now on that page. But you can take a look at the comparison javascript tool, and make your own conclusions.

Also, in an earlier article in late 2006, that's what he had to say in the introduction :

This design can be summed up in a few choice words - Cheap and simple with great sound. The Seas 27TBFCG is one of the best tweeters at any price, but thankfully only sells for $32.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html

Maybe he changed his opinion now, but I don't think so.
Also, Mark K does like it too.

http://www.audioheuristics.org/measurements/Testing/Seas27tbfc/seas_27tbfc.htm

The mivoc XGH258 beats all.
project with mivoc

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Distortion <0,3-0,1%
horn.jpg

compare with ess and see for your self.

untitled-5.jpg

Greetz Helmuth

Shaun said:

Sooo... if you can't beat them on performance, perhaps you should beat them on looks...

(Never seen one in the flesh, but I think it looks classy).

I my eye these look cheap. Imitation Chinese gold look horrible. And those wires above it.
:dead:

About taste you can't argue we say in the Netherlands. So how likes them must buy them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.