16.9344MHz LOW JITTER CLOCK KIT...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I've done a bit of work on my Philips CD620, and I really like the sound the TDA1541A but... (and so the quest for better begins AGAIN!)...
As everyone loves the CD-63 I decided to try picking up one up on eBay and yesterday I managed to get a CD-63 SE for £35 + P&P, working and with remote.

So, there's millions out there on this venerable player, it has to be THE easiest CD player to mod in the world for all the information on here and the rest of the world wide web.

My first question relates to clocks. It's something I haven't got 'round to trying on my CD620, but I want to give it a go on the CD-63.

I understand it's a 16.9344MHz clock. So while it seems everyone goes for those branded and expensive Audiocom/Tent/Trichord clocks isn't this pretty much the same sort of thing? 16.9344MHz LOW JITTER CLOCK KIT
Or as I could build something up from scratch, would I be better off to buy something like this and doing the rest myself? PRECISION +/-1PPM 16.9344MHz TCXO

Both of these are from tubeshunter in China, and if anyone has had dealings with them I'd like to know how it went.

I will of course be experimenting with the CD-63 mods list PDF I got from here to get me started, but when it comes down to it, clocks have always fascinated so I want to get it as right as I can on my limited budget so your opinions on my options are greatly appreciated!

Brilliant, just the kind of reply I needed.

I'm definitely not looking for (can't afford in other words) what is the best on the market, but better than the stock clock setup is the way to go.

Am I right in thinking you got yours from tubeshunter?

(PS, I love your signature, always reminds me of my mum who'd constantly tell me "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" when I was in my teens and opening up every electronic box I could to figure out how they worked and what I could twiddle to improve them...! In most cases, they never quite worked the same again...! Nowadays, thank goodness for service manuals, schematics, the internet and my electronic engineer of a mate! lol)

I'm not sure if anyone's aware that there are 2 clocks in CD63. The one controlling the transport section focus, sled & spindle speed is as important.

With external oscillators, what you need is very low jitter at frequencies at around 10Hz. Good luck finding manufactures who specify this value....

Boky

Extreme_Boky said:
I'm not sure if anyone's aware that there are 2 clocks in CD63. The one controlling the transport section focus, sled & spindle speed is as important.

On the extremely long CD63 and CD67 mods thread, one of the early suggestions (for the CD63) was to run both from one master clock using a divider to produce the 8Mhz clock for the transport section. (similar to the CD67)

Quick lashups proved this made good music although there can be problems due to grounding.

Gains can also be made using 2 external clocks.

A clock setup for the CD63 is available from a forum member through his commercial website. (http://www.audioupgrades.co.uk/)

=================================

On the CD63, greater gains than a second clock gives, can be had by adding more regulators and generally improving the power supplies. Standard 3-leg regulators can be used although low noise discrete ones give better results.

More tweaks...

Bypass the HDAM circuit and replace the opamps with high quality ones.

Remove the muting circuit and convert to relay muting.

Go all the way with a tube or discrete output stage.

See....... http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/ra.vdsteen/index_en.html

(Ray started the CD63/67 thread )

Good luck
Andy

bleachershane said:

My first question relates to clocks. It's something I haven't got 'round to trying on my CD620, but I want to give it a go on the CD-63.

I understand it's a 16.9344MHz clock. So while it seems everyone goes for those branded and expensive Audiocom/Tent/Trichord clocks isn't this pretty much the same sort of thing? 16.9344MHz LOW JITTER CLOCK KIT

Both of these are from tubeshunter in China, and if anyone has had dealings with them I'd like to know how it went.

Be aware of this with these clocks!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1720659#post1720659

Just a quick reply to say I bought one of these clock kits and fitted it and it seems to my ears that there is an improvement good enough to justify the initial outlay!

I gave the circuit it's own power supply from it's own transformer (one I had kicking around from a digital alarm clock that had gone to the other side... recycling parts is good!), encountered absolutely none of the problems from the other posts.

They had soldered most of the components on already (didn't expect that as it's meant to be a kit you do yourself) and had put on one of the caps the wrong way 'round, if you know what you're doing you will of course check the whole circuit to make sure everything is as should be before powering up!

Anyway, once the whole board was sorted and I was happy everything was working as it should I implemented it into the CD-63 SE and voila, first time working absolutely perfectly!

I should post some photos as I'm quite proud that my first dabble with clocks went so well!

Next thing to do cheap is replace the op amps and caps in the middle of them. Something like these below would be ideal as a cheap hop up.

OP Amps
Definately a recommended seller! Lee is a regulare user of this forum and post on the cd63/67 mods thread. He can also halp you with the caps.

You should also bypass the output caps (they are there to remove DC offset not normally a problem for this player)

There is plenty to do cheap in this player!

Enjoy

Ian

As poynton said that small transformer should do the job... cheap toroidals will probably have no benefit over a standard transformer so bear that in mind...

The transformer I salvaged is perfectly fine and still working... woohoo! The clock oscillator circuit can't be drawing anywhere near what the transformer can give out so it should last for years to come without a hitch!

By the way, I've bought two LM4562 op amps from Farnell and have had them lying about a couple of weeks waiting to fire them into my CD-63SE (in place of the original NJM2114s)... do I just remove the NJM2114s and drop in the new op amps? All this talk of resistors and biasing into Class A... well, I'm confused, what's the reason/benefits?
Also, I like the sound of the CD-63SE as it is just now, and I'm guessing it's partly down to the HDAM. After putting the LM4562s in should I disable the HDAM straight off or is it worth listening with the HDAM in place?

thanks bleacher

you guys have any tips for installing the clock?

from what I can tell in the player one lead on the clock goes to one capacitor, the other lead goes to another capacitor, both of the other sides of the caps go to ground, from the 2 clock lead sides of the caps they each go to one side of a single resistor

so I remove the caps, tie the 2 ground sides of the caps together and that is my ground, I then remove the resistor and try each each of the clock leads to see which works

does that sound right?

thanks

Jitter = phase Noise

Dear oscillator researchers

clock deviation ..... +/-1ppm, = not jitter
clock purity.............C/N, phase noise,-130dBc@100Hz = Jitter

I measured several crystal oscillator's Phase Noise with hp E5501B.
Attached file is LcAudio XO-3 jitter.
It is very nice jiter than usual SPXO and TCXO oscillators.

Crystal oscillator produces undesirable phase noise near the output frequency.
�@Phase noise is measured in the frequency domain, and is expressed as a ratio of signal power to noise power measured in a 1 Hz,10Hz,100Hz,1000Hz, bandwidth at a given offset from the desired signal.

Attachments

• xtalxo3_15.jpg
    xtalxo3_15.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,952
Re: Is this clock low jitter?

nagaesan said:
Dear oscillator researchers

clock deviation ..... +/-1ppm, = not jitter
clock purity.............C/N, phase noise,-130dBc@100Hz = Jitter

I measured several crystal oscillator's Phase Noise with hp E5501B.
Attached file is LcAudio XO-3 jitter.
It is very nice jiter than usual SPXO and TCXO oscillators.

Crystal oscillator produces undesirable phase noise near the output frequency.
�@Phase noise is measured in the frequency domain, and is expressed as a ratio of signal power to noise power measured in a 1 Hz,10Hz,100Hz,1000Hz, bandwidth at a given offset from the desired signal.

nagaesan said:
This is one of SACD clock, that product company called High accuracy master clock oscillator, to suppress jitter & noise.

XO3 has respectable jitter level at IMPORTANT band between 10Hz and 100Hz.

The one used in SACD player is pretty much useless and good for nothing at all!!!

Boky

Re: I orderd low jitter colpitts oscillator

nagaesan said:
X'tal oscillator case size is DIP14pin, compatible that SACD player's clock.

Power unit is independent SACD module PCB.

That clock oscillator looks good - same as XO3 (!!!) Make sure that you use a separate, very low noise power supply.

There is another important thing to consider and implement: ground the whole power supply / clock oscillator combination only at one point on the main PCB - find the one with the lowest noise (hint: it is far away from the microprocessor chip!)

Good luck,

Boky

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.