Hybrid Amplifier Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,All,Attached are my new hybrid amplifier using vacuum tube and IC.The tubes are ECC88 and the IC is LM4766.I make it with two small Al cases.

Attachments

• mini-tb2.jpg
    mini-tb2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,672
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mike,
They all sound different.

Its an interesting subject which gets very boring when people argue about it
Actually, it's discussion unless you have a number of people who don't know anything about the subject. Then it's a annoying waste of time. Once you have people who know the subject talking about it, everyone learns a lot.

-Chris

Whatever, some like em, some dont. I cant comment as I never heard a tube amp or pre. I have a concept on how they might sound based on what I have read in past magazines and such, and I'm well aware they dont all sound the same.

Look, Im not expert. So I'll leve it there, ok?

Rgds,
Mike.

PS: Nice amp Luck! I love it and I'd love to hear it, bet it sounds nice. :)

mikesnowdon said:
Whatever, some like em, some dont. I cant comment as I never heard a tube amp or pre. I have a concept on how they might sound based on what I have read in past magazines and such, and I'm well aware they dont all sound the same.

Look, Im not expert. So I'll leve it there, ok?

Rgds,
Mike.

PS: Nice amp Luck! I love it and I'd love to hear it, bet it sounds nice. :)

Most guitarists love the sound of valves.
Its due to the warm sound of the distortion they give.

I use a valve mixer for my disco and also for my guitar and it sounds great.

I would recommend visiting a guitar shop and have a listen to a semiconductor amp then listen to a valve amp. Teh valve amp wins every time.

nigelwright7557 said:

Most guitarists love the sound of valves.
Its due to the warm sound of the distortion they give.

I use a valve mixer for my disco and also for my guitar and it sounds great.

I would recommend visiting a guitar shop and have a listen to a semiconductor amp then listen to a valve amp. Teh valve amp wins every time.

I would like to hear what all the fuss is about. :)

nigelwright7557 said:

Yes, because a guitar amp does not need to reproduce a recording as accurately as possible. It clearly belongs to the creative process, so most of the time has to be appealing rather than truthful.

So should a hybrid amplifier sound accurate or appealing? In other words, how much should it sound like a typical tube amp?

Well, here we go again towards the famous Niceness Knob© that makes the sound adjustable from typical solid state to typical tube according to everybody's own taste.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.